This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1423 / 56°8'32"N
Longitude: -3.262 / 3°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 321677
OS Northings: 695121
OS Grid: NT216951
Mapcode National: GBR 25.K539
Mapcode Global: WH6RL.VWT2
Entry Name: Cardenden, School Lane, Denend Primary School
Listing Date: 4 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390226
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43655
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty
Traditional County: Fife
Probably William Williamson, 1910, with later additions to S. Single storey, gabled school. Painted harl with contrasting red pantiles. Keystoned, round-headed openings.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical, 6 bays mirrored about centre. Bays 1, 3, 4 and 6 with tall, dormerheaded window (catslide to bays 1 and 6, piended to bays 3 and 4) breaking eaves flanked by smaller windows; bays 2 and 5 gabled with round-headed window at centre, flanking windows and coped buttresses, carved thistle in gablehead, dominant ball-and-spike finialled, lead-roofed pagoda air-vent on roof ridge; lower recessed bay with window, door and tall stack to outer right.
W ELEVATION: as above but recessed bay to outer left with 2 windows and steps up to small window converted from door, and steps to boiler house in basement.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: triple-gabled with keystoned Diocletian window in centre gablehead flanked by small, horizontal tripartite windows in larger gableheads with ball-finialled outer skewputts: lower detail obscured by almost full-width flat-roofed extension.
Small-pane glazing in top-opening sash and case look-alike timber windows. Red pantiles, grey to outer right W catslide dormer. Coped and harled stack; terracotta coped skews, ball-finialled skewputts and decorative cast-iron finials.
INTERIOR: centre hall with rooflights and open-beaming, 6 classrooms to each side (ceilings lowered) but dado-panelling retained.
Older residents recall that "the small turrets on top of the main building were used for housing air-raid sirens during World War II" (p41). Similar design details to Williamson?s former school 1904 in Woodend Road (listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings