This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5486 / 55°32'55"N
Longitude: -2.8385 / 2°50'18"W
OS Eastings: 347192
OS Northings: 628644
OS Grid: NT471286
Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.8S
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.CSKQ
Entry Name: High Street, Council Buildings
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390399
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43786
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Late 18th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 5-bay classical building, former house with single storey addition to left. Stugged ashlar with droved ashlar dressings; whinstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings to SW and SE elevations; rendered single storey addition with timber-cladding to outer left. Base course, band course between ground and 1st floor, cornice and blocking course with raised tablet to centre and parapet to angles, slightly raised long and short quoins.
NW (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: panelled door to centre with border-glazed, multi-pane rectangular fanlight above deep-set in pilastered and corniced doorpiece; tripartite window at 1st floor above. Window to each floor of each flanking bay. 5-bay single storey addition to left with opening to centre (formally larger). Window to each bay right of centre. Depressed-arched carriage opening in bay to inner left. Gabled bay to outer left with shop window and entrance.
SE ELEVATION: low 2-storey addition to centre at ground with pitched- roof; window at 1st floor of main building. Later advanced full-height 3-light window in bays to left with modern door at ground, to right. Window to each floor of bays to right. Modern harled platformed addition to return angle to outer left of addition.
12-pane timber sash and case windows, except plate glass timber sash and case windows to single storey addition. Slate piend and platformed roof. Slate roof to addition with large louvred ventilator between bay to centre and to inner left.
INTERIOR: not seen fully, 1995. Vestibule door with glazed upper panel with stained glass of Selkirk motif. Plaster ceiling rose to hall.
The building first appears on Wood?s map (1823). The area between this and the lane called Dovecot Park was at that time an area of land known as Dovecot Park and a dovecot is shown to stand where the Parish Church, the former Lawson Memorial Church (see separate listing) now stands. The addition to outer left of the main building was probably the stable and carriage block. The house was known as "Dovecote" in the late 18th century when it was owned by Thomas Anderson, father- in-law of Mungo Park (see separate listing of Mungo Park Monument). The fire service utilised the section of the addition to left for many years (as shown on 4th edition OS map. 1930), until the 1970s, when the new fire station on Shawpark Road was built. The town council took the main building over in 1904 as a municipal building and a garage utilise the outer left section of the addition.
Other nearby listed buildings