This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5465 / 55°32'47"N
Longitude: -2.843 / 2°50'34"W
OS Eastings: 346905
OS Northings: 628413
OS Grid: NT469284
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.9K
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9VFB
Entry Name: 31 and 33 West Port
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390465
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43833
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Late 19th century (possibly incorporating earlier fabric) with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay terraced tenement with shop at ground. Painted render at 1st floor of NW elevation, with painted ashlar dressings; painted harl to gablehead. Base course, corbelled cornice above fascia between ground and 1st floor, mutuled course between 1st floor above gablehead above eaves height; quoin strips.
NW (WEST PORT) ELEVATION: gabled. Ground floor arranged independent of upper floor with 2-leaf panelled door in inner bay to left with fixed pane plate glass shop windows to flanking bays; panelled door in bay to outer right with plate glass rectangular fanlight above. Window to each bay at 1st floor, regularly disposed. Half-timber gablehead above with 2 timber-mullioned tripartite windows; green-glazed tiles to rectangular panel above to gablehead.
SE ELEVATION: not seen fully, 1996. Whinstone rubble at 1st floor with painted harl to gablehead above eaves height. Later adjoining piended, possibly red brick single storey addition to rear.
Modern glazing to 1st floor; timber windows to gablehead with 4-pane upper and plate glass lower to each light. Red tile roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Harled coped mutual stack to SW. Ashlar coped stack to gablehead to NW; harled coped wallhead stack to gable to SE. Slate roof to addition to rear with strip skylights.
INTERIOR: circa 1900 decorative scheme. Compartmentalised ceiling to front room with intricate samples of plasterwork to each; ornate plasterwork above picture-rail. Timber glazed partition to rear of front room with segmental-arched opening to centre. Boarded room to rear (adjoining addition) with iron trusses to roof.
This site has been built upon at least since 1823, according to the maps. The addition to the rear was built by 1897. The building was used for a time as a painter and decorator?s shop. The plasterwork at the front of the shop was used as examples of their work. According to some sources, the shop also erected and decorated carts and floats for which the back addition was used. (There was an L-plan smithy to the rear of Nos 19 and 21 West Port in 1897, which might have been connected with this, or might have been confused with this through time.) When the decorator?s moved/closed, the shop was then used by a tailor. It is currently used as a tea shop, 1996. The residential part, No 33, is called Holmwood. Listed Cat. B for the interest of the interior.