This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1124 / 56°6'44"N
Longitude: -3.166 / 3°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 327589
OS Northings: 691686
OS Grid: NT275916
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LW4J
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.BMMH
Entry Name: Bennochy Road, Kirkcaldy Museum, Art Gallery and Public Library with Pavilion
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390676
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44000
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
J S Mackay ARIBA, 1925; E wing by Heiton & Mackay, 1928; mansards added 1996. 2-storey and basement, 17-bay (grouped 3-1-9-1-3) with flanking mansard-roofed wings, Beaux Arts classical library on terrace above War Memorial. Droved ashlar with polished dressings. Base course, channelled plinth, moulded cill course, polished ashlar frieze, consoled eaves cornice and deep blocking course: deep base course and continuous stone balustrade to wings. Doric-columned and balustered porches; raised window margins; mutuled brackets and scrolled consoles.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bay to left with 5 steps up to porch (disabled access ramp to left) with deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight etched with Kirkcaldy crest, modern window above breaking frieze and wording 'MUSEUM AND' 'ART GALLERY', broad stepped block pediment over cornice; 3 windows to left and 9 windows to right with similar doorway beyond worded 'PUBLIC' 'LIBRARY'; 3 further windows to outer right. Wording over centre 3 bays "This building was gifted to the town by John Nairn, Linoleum Manufacturer, as part of the Kirkcaldy Memorial to those who fell in the Great War 1914-18".
N ELEVATION: library to left with 5 windows and dividing pilasters in common surround, cavetto cornice and deep blocking course stepped at outer chamfered angles, that to right with ramp to panelled timber door at ground. Slightly recessed single storey centre bay with 3 windows, stone balustrade and large rectangular, piended rooflight. Further recessed, 9-bay, museum and art gallery to right: slightly advanced centre bay with basement door below stair window with panelled apron, bracketed cill and flanking consoles to cavetto cornice with stepped blocking course; windows in flanking bays.
E (BENNOCHY ROAD) ELEVATION: 2 windows to left; projecting wing to right with asymmetrical fenestration including canted bay to left with window to each face, that to advanced face lugged and architraved with bracketed, corniced windowhead breaking into balustrade.
W ELEVATION: 2 windows to right, projecting wing to left with architraved window as above, bipartite window and door on return to right, window (former door) to ground and to mansard on return to left.
2- and 3-pane glazing patterns in metal top-opening windows. Lead-roofed mansards. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: Museum and Art Gallery: concrete floors with parquet over; plain and decorative cornices; cast-iron radiators. Basement with evidence of Balsusney House in droved ashlar surrounds to former openings; mosaic floors and glazed tiles, with china fittings to toilets. Ground floor with museum to right, gallery and Wemyss Cafe to left. Staircase with cast-iron and turned brass balusters and timber handrail, glazed dado leading to basement and panelled timber dado to 1st floor. Shop at stairhead with 2 galleries to left and 7 to right, all top lit.
LIBRARY: decorative and plain cornices; white and grey marble-lined hall with staff enclosure of walnut, remaining woodwork of teak. Ionic columns support cross beam in top-lit lending library.
PAVILION: shaped steps to small pavilion at E with chamfered ashlar piers and square brackets supporting timber boarded overhang of tiled and finialled, piended, swept roof.
The museum was built on the site of Balsusney House, and was opened by its benefactor John Nairn of Forth Park on 27th June, 1925. John Nairn's only son was killed in the War. The library wing, completed
3 years later, housed an amalgamation of the Beveridge and Pathhead Libraries.
Other nearby listed buildings