This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1159 / 56°6'57"N
Longitude: -3.1521 / 3°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 328456
OS Northings: 692064
OS Grid: NT284920
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LRSM
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.KJ6S
Entry Name: 461 and 463 High Street, the 'Lang Toun' Bar, and Malcolm's Wynd with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 February 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390739
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44046
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Pair of earlier and later 19th century properties merged as one at ground. Irregular 3-storey tenement with public house at ground.
No 461: later 19th century. 3-bay. Ashlar, painted at ground, and random rubble with droved margins; base and dividing courses, ground floor cornice and eaves course. Pilasters with block capitals to ground and 1st floor, curved bay to left of centre: round-headed openings to 1st floor.
S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: pilastered doorway with timber door and plate glass fanlight to centre, display windows in flanking bays with pilasters to outer right and left; 1st floor with regular fenestration and pilastered as at ground, panelled dividing course above and 3 further windows to 2nd floor.
W (MALCOLM'S WYND) ELEVATION: 6-bay above ground. Blocked door in penultimate bay to left and blocked window to outer right at ground, regular fenestration to each floor above and 2 tall wallhead stacks.
No 463: earlier 19th century. 3-storey with attic, 3-bay. Harled with stone margins. Base and eaves lintel courses.
S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: ground floor with 2-leaf door and plate glass fanlight to centre, windows in flanking bays (lower panes blocked), modern fascia above; 3 regular bays to 1st and 2nd floors, piended and slated dormer windows over outer bays.
No 461 with 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, fixed glazing to ground. No 463 with 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, small-pane glazing to ground. Grey slates. Broad ashlar and brick stacks with cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
The High Street formerly followed a route via Malcolm's Wynd to the rear of these buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings