History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carmichael House

A Category B Listed Building in Carmichael, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6331 / 55°37'59"N

Longitude: -3.6909 / 3°41'27"W

OS Eastings: 293646

OS Northings: 639019

OS Grid: NS936390

Mapcode National: GBR 23N9.QJ

Mapcode Global: WH5SS.8NPZ

Entry Name: Carmichael House

Listing Date: 3 November 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391154

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44568

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Carmichael

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East

Parish: Carmichael

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Covington

Description

Probably built at some time between 1754 and 1767 for John, 3rd Earl of Hyndford. Roofless, since c1955 but otherwise substantially intact ruin of H plan country house, near symmetrical. Main accommodation in 2-storey and attic end ranges, single-storey link range with 2-storey and attic tower. Purple sandstone rubble with cream sandstone dressings.

EAST RANGE: courtyard elevation 5-bay, central 3 bays slightly advanced, with shaped gable with urn finial and teminals. All windows have segment heads and keystone. At ground central doorway with Gibbs surround, window to right, collapsed link with central range to left. Prominent rusticated quoins at edges of advanced section and corners. Base course and moulded eaves band. End gables treated as advanced section, but with single windows at ground, first and attic. E elevation as courtyard, but with late 19th century projecting central (bathroom) bay in snecked rubble with cill band, string course between floors, and blind balustrade at wallhead chimney stacks on transverse walls at ends of advanced section.

WEST RANGE: similar to E range, but opposite hand, and without later addition on outer face, which therefore has central entrance as on courtyard.

LINK BLOCK: largely ruined, except for tower, which has round-headed arch in face, now bricked up, with Gibbs surround, windows on all faces at first, and truncated pediments, at attic height in the bulls eye windows. Urn finials of different design from main ranges. On E and W faces round arches leading to ruined corridors.

INTERIORS gutted, but walls have been lathed and plastered. Vaulted ground floor in E range.

Statement of Interest

Plan form unique in Scotland, due to failure to complete original design.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.