History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Assynt Parish Church (Church of Scotland) excluding scheduled monument 8309, Inchnadamph

A Category B Listed Building in North, West and Central Sutherland, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.1521 / 58°9'7"N

Longitude: -4.9766 / 4°58'35"W

OS Eastings: 224933

OS Northings: 921998

OS Grid: NC249219

Mapcode National: GBR G725.R74

Mapcode Global: WH28K.JCFC

Plus Code: 9CCQ522F+R9

Entry Name: Former Assynt Parish Church (Church of Scotland) excluding scheduled monument 8309, Inchnadamph

Listing Name: Former Assynt Parish Church (Church of Scotland) excluding scheduled monument 8309, Inchnadamph

Listing Date: 19 February 1998

Last Amended: 9 March 2018

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391723

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44967

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Assynt

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland

Parish: Assynt

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Inchnadamph

Description

Parish Church, built between 1741-1743 with substantial alterations by William C Joass, in 1900. The building is a 5-bay, plain gabled rectangular-plan church with a diminutive spire and harled rubble walls.

The church has gabled, bargeboarded dormerheads to segmental-arched windows on the north (rear) and south (front) elevations. It has a shouldered wallhead with a pink stone chimney stack at the centre. The door to the church is on the outer right; it is boarded with glazed 2-pane upper section. There is evidence of a former window in the east gable.

At the east end of the church is a spire which has a square base and bell-cast pyramidal slate roof and cross finial. It has timber small-pane glazing with 2-pane top-hoppers. The roof is graded grey slate with a stone ridge. The chimney stack as above.

The interior was largely refurbished in 1900. It has a coomb ceiling; boarded dado and pine pews which are angled for the choir. The pulpit is octagonal with a cornice and panelled and corniced back-board and flanking doors. The pulpit may date to the early 19th century.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM8309 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Interest

The origins of the church's presence at Assynt are thought to date back to between 1436 and 1443, to a foundation by Angus MacLeod, laird of Assynt. It is thought that the Macleod Burial Vault within the current churchyard is the physical remains of this church. The vault is a scheduled monument (see separate designation).

The new 18th century church was built because of the "poor", condition of the old church, and it cost about £1242 in the currency of the time. The renovations by William C Joass cost £297 and 13 shillings. Former attributions for the church to John Robertson as a new build of about 1900 have been found to be confused with work by this architect on a new church at Lochinver.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM8309 (see separate designation record).

Statutory address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'INCHNADAMPH, FORMER ASSYNT PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH GRAVEYARD, WALLS AND GATE'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.