This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7385 / 55°44'18"N
Longitude: -3.9741 / 3°58'26"W
OS Eastings: 276150
OS Northings: 651216
OS Grid: NS761512
Mapcode National: GBR 02P2.DR
Mapcode Global: WH4R3.X1Q4
Entry Name: Larkhall, Caledonian Road, Larkhall Police Station, Including Former Fire Station, Boundary Walls Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391920
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45111
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1901 with later alterations and additions with L-plan former Fire Station, 1911, sited to NW. 2-storey, asymmetrical, 10-bay long rectangular-plan Police Station with baronial details. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; corbel course between ground and 1st floor; eaves course. Plain margins to windows with panelled detail between floors; long and short quoins.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bays grouped 6-4. Near-symmetrical 6-bay block to right: shouldered architrave doorpiece at ground in bay to centre; bracketted cornice with bracketted triangular pediment with panel between above; deep-set replacement timber door with rectangular fanlight, window at ground with convex curved pediment at 1st floor in bays flanking. Full-height, 3-light canted window set in recessed panel with centred square panel above below crowstepped gable in bays flanking; wallhead stack, set to inside, of each gable. Window at ground with round-arched pedimented window below crowstepped gable in bay to right. Corbelled and parapetted round angle-bay to outer right with 3 small square window to curve. Single-storey, 4-bay block to right: 3 stone flight to round-arched Gibbsian doorpiece to advanced gabletted bay to outer right; deep-set modern timber door with blocked semicircular fanlight; bracketted cornice supporting painted armorial and date panels flanked by pilasters and scrolls with elongated scrolled pediment above. 3 windows in 3 remaining bays to left.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 7-bay elevation with gable to each end and central mullioned and transomed bipartite stair window; 4-stage steel box girder fire rescue training tower against gable to right; timber-slatted rescue platform to each stage; access ladder to right hand side.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows with small-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Grey slate roof; ashlar coped wallhead stacks to W; multi-flue stacks to rear; ashlar skew to S; cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers and attachments.
GATEPIERS, WALLS AND RAILINGS: 3 pairs of square-plan sandstone ashlar piers; pairs to outside flanks with raised panel and angle balusters below swept pyramidal cap with further small pyramidal finial. Similar plainer, central pair. Low squared rubble wall with ashlar cope; wrought-iron Art Nouveau-style railings with oval stylised thistle panels.
INTERIOR: limited access only. Architraved, timber panelled doors; decorative barleysugar banisters with timber handrail.
FORMER FIRE STATION: 2-storey, 2-bay, near symmetrical crowstepped gabled L-plan former fire station, (now garaging). Stugged and snecked cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course. Stepped hood mould at 1st floor.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: wide architrave to centred fire engine bay with roll-moulded, shouldered border and dentilled cornice; part-glazed timber multi-leaf folding doors. 2 bipartite windows, evenly disposed at 1st floor with square panel set between above; vestigial wallhead stack to outer right of crowstepped gable.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: advanced blank gabled wall to outer right with window at 1st floor to left return. Bipartite window with round relieving arch at ground in bay to left.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; ashlar skew to S gable; cast-iron rainwater goods.
The Police Station was possibly designed by McWhannell and Rogerson who also designed the Barrhead Police Buildings, 1902-4 and the Royal Samaritan Hospital, Victoria Road, Glasgow. The Larkhall Police Station is an eclectic mix of architectural styles with recessed bay windows, Charles Rennie Mackintosh-style inscriptions, Art Nouveau railings and baronial features. The Fire Station dates from 1911 when Lanark County Council added four brigades to the county facilities, operating out of Shettleston, Bellshill, Larkhall and Lanark. Larkhall brigade was responsible for firefighting in Larkhall as well as Glassford, Stonehouse, Avondale, Dalziel, Cambusnethan and Carluke.
Other nearby listed buildings