This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7358 / 55°44'8"N
Longitude: -3.9815 / 3°58'53"W
OS Eastings: 275682
OS Northings: 650932
OS Grid: NS756509
Mapcode National: GBR 02M3.TQ
Mapcode Global: WH4R3.T386
Entry Name: Larkhall, Raploch Road, St Mary's Rc Church
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391930
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45119
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Larkhall
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1905 with later alterations and additions. Gambrel-roofed rectangular-plan Free-style church with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters; buttresses flanking central entrance bay, vestigial crowsteps to aisle bays; hexagonal, separately roofed creche to left; piended stair bay to right. Harled with painted segmental and pointed-arched ashlar surrounds to openings. Later pitched connecting corridor from church to presbytery to SW angle.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tall, architraved pointed-arched doorway in advanced entrance bay to centre; replacement 2-leaf boarded door with vertically divided fanlight (trefoil motif to centre light). Small window at ground with tall bipartite window above in flanking bays. Window to every other side of integrated hexagonal creche to left; 4 narrow lights, set high in left return of entrance bay. 2 tall windows, evenly disposed in aisle bay to right.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 tall, narrow windows, set wide in nave bay to rear. Window with small window flanking in aisle bay to left. Blank aisle bay to right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated, 5-bay, divided by tapered buttresses; window in each bay.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay divided by tapered buttresses; narrow, trefoil-headed stair window to outer left. Pitched connecting corridor from bay to outer right. Window in each remaining bay.
Timber-framed fixed leaded stained glass plain glass windows. Swept grey/purple slate roof with red clay ridge and celtic cross finial to each gable apex; slate to creche; vestigial ashlar coped stack to rear; ashlar coped crowsteps; replaced uPVC rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: painted timber boarded open timber roof with scissor braces and ties beams; point-arched arcades on octagonal columns dividing nave from aisles; round arched entrance with later glazed infill to polygonal chapel to E; timber banisters and handrail to staircase to W; triangular-headed timber panelled door to gallery (formerly with turned timber parapet, now blocked) to N end; tall, pointed-arched chancel arch to S end; modern timber altar, lectern and tabernacle stand; triangular-headed timber panelled door to vestry; timber pews.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The parish of St Mary's has existed since 1861, although was only officially recognised when the mission in Strathaven, previously serving Larkhall and the surrounding area, was closed and a new chapel, combined with a school was built in 1872. The building, which stands to the west of the present church served a dual purpose, the central school rooms cleared and amalgamated for the Mass to be taken on a Sunday. Towards the end of the century, however, the chapel school proved inadequate to hold an ever expanding congregation, and under the Rev. Francis A. Stephen, a new church was built and opened for worship on Sunday, 17th December, 1905. St. Mary's underwent major renovations in the early 1970s, with the upgrading of the heating and lighting and sound systems and the replacement of many fixtures and furniture. The chapel school, adjacent remains a Primary School, (see separate list description). Inside, the hexagonal chapel to the left of the entrance was converted to a creche when the church was refurbished in the early 1970s, although it has now reverted to a chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings