History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbotshall Road, Abbotshall Parish Church Graveyard with Mort-House, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1096 / 56°6'34"N

Longitude: -3.1679 / 3°10'4"W

OS Eastings: 327464

OS Northings: 691371

OS Grid: NT274913

Mapcode National: GBR 29.M282

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.9PQP

Entry Name: Abbotshall Road, Abbotshall Parish Church Graveyard with Mort-House, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 26 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 392399

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45481

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

Mid 17th century and later. Rubble boundary walls, some semicircular-coped, enclosing church and graveyard. Mort-house adjoining boundary to NE.

Earliest stone slab of 1658, to Robert Purrock, church elder.

Mural monuments include much eroded corniced stone dated 1720 on frieze with flanking anthemion-capitalled columns; red sandstone, pedimented stone with Doric columns to John Sang; block pedimented stone with short Doric columns to the Stocks family, linen manufacturers.

Gravestones predominantly simple moulded and/or pedimented apex style, and obelisks. Eroded stone close to mort-house with cartouche in pediment and flanking skulls; headstone (to NE of church door) to George Nicol (died 1786) with carved hand and plume on one side, spade and rake (gardener's emblems) on other. Further 18th Century stones including example with baker's symbols dated 1744. Distinctive headstone to local stone carver, William Taylor (died 1881) with elaborately carved niche. Memorial of life-size seated child by Pilkington Jackson to child prodigy Marjory Fleming, 'Pet Marjorie', erected 1935 with original stone to rear "M F 1811".

MORT-HOUSE: small rectangular-plan rubble building with modern pantiles; window to W overlooking graveyard; evidence of former segmental-headed opening to same elevation: entrance to S.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: high coped rubble boundary walls; square-section, coped ashlar gatepiers to N; segmental-headed, flat-coped ashlar arch to W; decorative cast-iron gates.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.