This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.104 / 56°6'14"N
Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 327368
OS Northings: 690748
OS Grid: NT273907
Mapcode National: GBR 29.MFXQ
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.9V20
Entry Name: Beveridge Park, Main Gate and South East Gate
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392416
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45493
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Probably William D Sang, 1891. 2 sets of 4 Renaissance style, square section, red sandstone gatepiers framing wide carriage entrance and flanking pedestrian walkways.
GATEPIERS: deep base course, main piers principal elevation with fielded panel; external faces of inner piers with commemoration plaques worded:
"This Park was provided out of money bequeathed for the
purpose to the Provost Magistrates and Town Council of Kirkcaldy
by Michael Beveridge Esq of Beechwood who died Provost of
Kirkcaldy 4th March 1890", and
"This Park was opened by Mrs Beveridge the widow of the donor
along with the Provost Magistrates and Town Council of the Burgh
of Kirkcaldy on the 24th September 1892".
Top of pier with moulded pilasters over anthemion devices to outer edges, flanking small carved head below string course and moulded frieze giving way to dentilled cavetto cornice. Crowned with scroll-flanked shaft, moulded cornice and scrollwork pediment.
Opened formally on 24th September, 1892, Beveridge Park was designed by William D Sang, with lodges (listed separately) by J W Hislop. Provost Michael Beveridge (1836-1890) bequeathed ?50,000 to the town of Kirkcaldy, for the provision of a public park, public library and hall in the burgh. The park (92 acres) was purchased, together with Southerton House, from Raith Estates. Michael Beveridge was a linen manufacturer, and "founder, with Mr Shepherd of Rossend Castle, of extensive floorcloth and linoleum works at Pathhead" (Millar). The company Barry, Ostlere and Shepherd ceased trading in 1964. Provost Beveridge's family home, Beechwood in Bennochy Road, is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings