This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1292 / 56°7'45"N
Longitude: -3.1217 / 3°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 330370
OS Northings: 693504
OS Grid: NT303935
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.KSQ8
Mapcode Global: WH6RW.06QN
Entry Name: Dysart, Normand Road, Dysart Primary School with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392441
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45510
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
William Williamson, 1914-15 with later extension. 17-bay (grouped 2-1-2-7-2-1-2), single, 2-storey and part basement, Queen Anne style school on ground falling steeply to S with weathervane-finialled cupola. Narrow blocks of bull-faced rubble with contrasting red sandstone dressings. Deep sandstone base course and eaves course. Segmental-headed, corniced and pilastered red sandstone doorcases with blocking course and flanking ball finials; keystoned and voussoired round-headed window to centre; channelled pilasters, and cupola. Chamfered arrises.
W (NORMAND ROAD) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 5 taller, advanced bays to centre with round-headed window over deep sandstone apron and flanking windows below moulded date stone in gablehead and flanking pilasters, 2 windows to each side and further flanking pilasters. 2 bays to right each having tripartite window with raised centre breaking eaves into swept and piended dormerhead, and blind sandstone apron; bays to left mirror this. Penultimate bay to right with steps up to doorcase marked 'BOYS', with 2-leaf panelled timber door; similar bay to left marked 'GIRLS' but without steps. 2 windows to outer bays.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: largely symmetrical elevation with service bays to raised basement and classroom windows over, some with dormerheads breaking eaves.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation including segmental-headed windows to raised basement (see Notes) and sympathetic 1990s extension adjoining to right.
N ELEVATION: narrow gable to centre with windows to ground and 1st floor (see Notes), raised centre tripartite window to left and lower wing to right with 2 bipartite windows and further window to outer right.
9-, 16- and 24-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; decorative astragals to centre W window. Small grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: central corridor with circular rooflights and flanking classrooms all with dado rails or boarded dadoes. 7-bay gym-hall with shallow barrel, ribbed roof. Cellar with round- and segmental-arched openings.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: low saddleback-coped ashlar, and high semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls; square-coped sandstone ashlar gatepiers with decorative ironwork gates and plain railings. High rubble boundary wall with segmental arch to E (Hill Street).
Dysart Burgh School was formed in 1881 with the amalgamation of the North and South Schools. This building was opened in September 1916 as Blair Hill School. Owing to the steep gradient on which the school is built, the only 1st floor room is situated to the N, with 2 basement rooms to the S. There is a long service tunnel below the building with round-headed brick openings, but not vaulting.
Other nearby listed buildings