This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1166 / 56°6'59"N
Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 328129
OS Northings: 692145
OS Grid: NT281921
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LQLX
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GJP8
Entry Name: Glebe Park Centre, Former East School with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392456
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45525
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
John Milne, 1876: extended 1889 and 1895 James Gillespie & Scott. Gothic detailed former school with 3-stage entrance/bell campanile. Squared and snecked rubble with polished and droved ashlar dressings. Segmental-headed doors, quatrefoil openings, 2-stage battered buttresses and machicolations. Hoodmoulds with label-stops, stop-chamfered and moulded arrises, stone mullions. Pointed-arch louvered openings and voussoirs to tower; decorative cornice to polygonal tower.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 7 asymmetrical bays. Blocked tripartite window to centre with bipartite windows in flanking bays, each breaking eaves into dormer gablet with decorative element on tympanum; tower (see below) in penultimate bay to right and hoodmoulded bipartite window in gabled bay to outer right. 2 gabled bays projecting to outer left, that in penultimate bay lower with small moulded bipartite window (blocked) and buttress to right angle, and further window (blocked) and door on return to right; 2 hoodmoulded bipartite windows to outer left.
NE TOWER: 1st stage engaged with 2-leaf timber door and plate glass fanlight to E below moulded panel inscribed 'BOYS' and stepped course giving way to 2nd stage with trefoil-headed gunloop. 3rd stage with louvered tripartite opening to each elevation below decoratively corbelled eaves to spire with decorative wrought-iron finial.
S ELEVATION: 2 bays to right of centre with bipartite windows breaking eaves into dormer gablets with tiny gunloops on tympanums, bay to outer right corbelled into steeply pitched dormer gablet, also breaking eaves. Advanced gable to outer left with 2 hoodmoulded bipartite windows, lower harled gable on return to right and finialled roundel with 3 blocked windows projecting beyond to right. Polygonal tower in re-entrant angle with 2-leaf timber door and plate glass fanlight in rounded face (to E) below moulded panel inscribed 'INFANTS', corbelled to square above and with steeply pitched chimney gablet over eaves line.
W ELEVATION: 6 asymmetrical bays. 2 bipartite windows with dormer-headed gablets breaking eaves in bay to left of centre, slightly advanced finialled gable with hoodmoulded bipartite window to outer left; low flat-roofed extension to centre bay; hoodmoulded bipartite window in advanced finialled gable to right and 3 small windows beyond to right; small triangular, louvered vent close to ridge at outer right. All windows to left of centre blocked.
N ELEVATION: 4-bay. Window to left of centre and outer left bay with hoodmoulded bipartite window breaking eaves into dormer gablet with small quatrefoil on tympanum and shouldered stack piercing gablet to left, buttress to outer angle; hoodmoulded bipartite window breaking eaves into small finialled dormer gablet with tiny gunloop on tympanum to right of centre and further window beyond to right. All windows blocked.
Plate glass glazing in timber windows. Grey slates, fish-scale to both towers. Coped ashlar lozenge stacks and ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
Built as the East Primary School and later becoming St Marie's Roman Catholic School, the Glebe Park Centre is part of an early board school group with Headmaster's House and Janitor's Lodge (21 Glebe Park) both listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings