History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mid Street, Pathhead Feuars' Graveyard with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1199 / 56°7'11"N

Longitude: -3.1498 / 3°8'59"W

OS Eastings: 328610

OS Northings: 692500

OS Grid: NT286925

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.LDB1

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.LF9S

Entry Name: Mid Street, Pathhead Feuars' Graveyard with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 26 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 392480

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45539

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

Private graveyard of late 17th century origin. Enclosed ground with gates to S and E.

Predominance of simple classical stones with curvilinear or pedimented heads. Some fine 18th century stones including segmental-headed memorial to Thomas Alison dated 1746, tympanum with hand holding candle-making rack, and small flanking stones with weighing scales and figure '4': nearby small round-headed and shouldered stone to David Ramsay 1758 depicting maltster's symbols, (both to SE wall).

Curvilinear-headed stone inscribed "Erected by public subscription to mark the grave of Andrew Wilson whose name associated with the genius of Sir W Scott and the Porteous Mob has obtained a distinguished place in Scottish story. He was a native of this town and was executed at Edinburgh 1736."

W wall with stone depicting 3 tigers each with shuttle in mouth, and stretchers, to Speedie weavers, and to Robert Speedie, manufacturer, died 1854.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble boundary walls with wide arched entrance to S (possibly carved but obscured by dense foliage), further gate to E with square-section ashlar gatepiers and stepped coping; wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

The ground was a gift to the Pathhead Feuars, in 1684, from John Watson of Path House (listed separately). Also separately listed is the Feuars' Arms.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.