This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8799 / 55°52'47"N
Longitude: -3.0818 / 3°4'54"W
OS Eastings: 332420
OS Northings: 665717
OS Grid: NT324657
Mapcode National: GBR 60XG.L2
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.MGPS
Entry Name: Hardengreen House
Listing Date: 5 August 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392545
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45599
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
1796. 2 storey and attic, 3 bay, rectangular plan farmhouse, extended circa 1830 with later additions and alterations. Tooled coursed sandstone with polished dressings to SE elevation, droved to remainder. Base course; moulded eaves course. Raised margins; polished long and short quoins to 18th century SE elevation; stugged strip quoins to 19th century addition to SE and SW; stugged long and short quoins to remainder.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 3 bay 1796 farmhouse; regular fenestration to each bay of ground and 1st floor. 2 bay 19th century addition to left; flat roofed, corniced, squared and snecked sandstone porch advanced to ground floor of bay to left; window flanked by opening leading to doorway to right; canopy leading to panelled timber door to right return; window to 1st floor above. Bay to outer left advanced with window to centre of ground and 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window off centre to left of 1st floor; window off centre to right set in gablehead.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 bay 1796 house to left. Gabled, single bay, 2 storey addition advanced to centre bay with single window off centre to right of 1st floor; window flanked to right by boarded timber door at ground floor and window to right of 1st floor of right return; left return blank with small single storey block with single window to re entrant angle. Window to ground floor of flanking bay to right; window to flanking bays to left and right of 1st floor. 19th century addition to right; lean to to ground floor with glazed timber door to left, irregular fenestration to right; window advanced to left of 1st floor, remainder blank.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; ground floor predominantly obscured by 20th century lean to conservatory; single storey lean to to outer left with 2 windows; window off centre to left of 1st floor. Window set in centre of gablehead of 18th century block.
Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs, piended to 19th century addition, with lead ridges. Stone skews to 18th century block. Coped gablehead stacks to 18th century block, coped wallhead stack to 19th century block, all with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Whilst the house has been altered, the 1796 core remains largely intact. According to McWilliam and Thomas Hardengreen House retains some of its original plasterwork interiors, including a pilastered sideboard recess.
Other nearby listed buildings