This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8977 / 55°53'51"N
Longitude: -3.2562 / 3°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 321543
OS Northings: 667887
OS Grid: NT215678
Mapcode National: GBR 50P7.TP
Mapcode Global: WH6SY.Y1L2
Plus Code: 9C7RVPXV+3G
Entry Name: Druim, 63 Bonaly Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 63 Bonaly Road, Druim With, Gates and Garden Terrace
Listing Date: 26 July 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393522
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46286
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Norman McGlashan, 1906-7; alterations, Dick Peddie & Walker Todd, 1923. 2-storey, asymmetrical, idiosyncratic Arts and Crafts villa with turret, timber balcony, polygonal chimneys, swept roof and broad eaves. Painted render with bull-faced red sandstone dressings to main door and larger ground floor windows. Irregularly fenestrated.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled section to left; turret to outer right. Oak panelled door and small-pane fanlight within bull-faced sandstone depressed-arch doorway with splayed jambs to outer left; pyramidal capped buttresses flanking door, curved at base to form low walls; oblong window and bipartite window below depressed relieving arch to right of door; paired square casements above; semicircular light to gable apex; flower finial to gable ridge. Turret to outer right: tripartite window to ground with bull-faced red sandstone mullions and transom; arched window with flanking square windows above. Decorative wrought-iron weathervane to turret apex with cut-out lettering reading DRUIM.
S (PRINCIPAL/GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Timber balcony under eaves to centre, supported on timber posts. Oculus windows to centre at both floors. Timber-boarded bay at both floors to outer left, flush with balcony; two sets of tripartite windows to each floor. Canted bay to outer right; transomed and mullioned windows to ground; square lights to 1st floor; doors to inner facet at both floors leading to balcony and garden
N ELEVATION: irregular fenestration in 7 bays. Advanced stair bay to centre with continuous window under catslide roof. Small arched dormer above. 2-leaf timber panelled door to left with glazed upper panels and slightly advanced rendered surround; flanking windows. Chimney corbelled out at 1st floor, beaking eaves to left. Square lights below eaves.
E ELEVATION: advanced service bay to right, irregularly fenestrated; timber boarded door with circular light to left return. 2-bay section to left; arched dormer to right, window below; stack in re-entrant angle. Canted bay to outer left (see under S elevation).
Predominantly timber casements; some timber sash and case windows. Rendered stacks with circular copes and red clay cans. Piended, bellcast roof, gabled to W (entrance) elevation; red tiles.
INTERIOR: notable arts and crafts detailing with art-nouveau touches, in the Glasgow Style. Timber panelled interior doors with hammered brass door furniture. Hall and staircase: beamed ceiling; notable 3-leaf timber glazed draught screen to front door with landscape pictures done in beaded glass to upper panels. Timber stair bannister of thick and thin posts with cut-out hearts; half-landing with ? circle entrance. Drawing room and Dining room: linked by 2-leaf timber door with glazed upper panel with geometric pattern in glass beads; timber cornice; original fireplaces with grey tiled surrounds interspersed with Mackintosh-style rose tiles; timber mantlepieces with glazed cupboards above. Fireplace in Dining room bowed with polygonal black tile hearth. Sitting room fireplace slightly advanced with bowed black tile hearth. Main bedrooms: original fireplaces with simple grates, red, grey or green tiled surrounds, painted timber mantlepieces and over-mantels with arched glazed cupboards. Servants? quarters, kitchen and attic: kitchen with original tiled floor and some original wall-tiles; butlers pantry with original fitted cupboard unit; servants' bedrooms (2) with original fireplaces; pine-panelled back stair with bell-box; attic (originally intended as billiard room) with sky-light.
GATES AND GARDEN TERRACES: terraced garden to SW with stone retaining walls, probably circa 1930. Unusual Arts and Crafts style 2-leaf wrought-iron gates at bottom of drive; harled gatepiers with concrete caps.
Built for Mr F.J. Dewar. His wife, an opera singer, made a considerable input into the building's design, and the extraordinarily large dining room was built for her to practise in. The house was sold to Dr Cranston Low in 1921, and he commisioned the Dick Peddie and Walker Todd alterations (which included the balcony, verandah, and garage) in 1923. The house was sold again in 1928 to Professor David Murray Lyon, who applied his gardening skills to the surrounding policies. Druim means "ridge of the hill" (a singularly inappropriate name, since it is in fact at the bottom of the hill).
Other nearby listed buildings