This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8166 / 55°48'59"N
Longitude: -2.2767 / 2°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 382758
OS Northings: 658186
OS Grid: NT827581
Mapcode National: GBR D1J5.WR
Mapcode Global: WH9Y7.0247
Plus Code: 9C7VRP8F+M8
Entry Name: Lintlaw School, Lintlaw
Listing Name: Lintlaw School (Former) Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393568
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46307
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bunkle and Preston
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Parish: Bunkle And Preston
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1860 with later additions and alterations. Single storey with attic, Tudor-detailed, rectangular-plan former school with gabled projection to front forming L-plan. Harl-pointed, squared and snecked, tooled cream sandstone rubble; sandstone ashlar dressings. Stugged quoins; stugged long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; painted timber mullions to bipartite and tripartite openings; chamfered cills. Separate single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to N.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: main range with stepped wallhead stack breaking eaves off-set to left of centre; tripartite window in bay to outer left; 2-leaf modern timber garage door in bay to right (former 4-light glazing row). Gabled wing projecting to outer right with bipartite window centred at ground; stepped hoodmould; architraved panel dated 'A.D. 1860' aligned above.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wing projecting to left with large tripartite window centred at ground; single window aligned above; gabletted finial surmounting gablehead. Lower wing recessed to outer right with 2-leaf boarded timber door in bay to left.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1998.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wing to right with large tripartite window centred at ground; single window aligned above; gabletted finial surmounting gablehead; single window at ground in bay to left. Lower wing recessed to outer left with single window in bay to right.
Predominantly lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case and casement windows. Grey slate roofs; sawtooth-coped stone skews; moulded brackets beneath gabletted skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Prominent wallhead stack to front with diagonally-set sandstone flue; circular can.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: harl-pointed sandstone rubble; rubble dressings. Small structure with grey slate piended roof; small rooflights. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALLS: round-arched coping to harl-pointed rubble walls partially enclosing site (former playground to S).
Empty 1998 having latterly served as a workshop/store. Replaced a "...neat and commodious" school to the SE, now known as The Old Schoolhouse (not listed). This later school has retained interesting details - the lying-pane glazing, sawtooth-coped skews, bracketed and gabletted finials and prominent wallhead stack being the most notable. Some of these features can be found on the nearby, similarly detailed Fogo School (former), itself dated 'A.D. 1864' - see separate list entry, Fogo Parish. Lintlaw is recorded as having accommodation for 100 pupils and, in 1879, an average attendance of 48 (Groome). Predating the Education Act of 1872, interest here is both architectural and historic.
Other nearby listed buildings