This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7286 / 55°43'42"N
Longitude: -2.4082 / 2°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 374463
OS Northings: 648428
OS Grid: NT744484
Mapcode National: GBR C2M6.F9
Mapcode Global: WH8XD.Z8FQ
Plus Code: 9C7VPHHR+CP
Entry Name: Walled Garden With Glasshouses And Sunken Garden, Marchmont House
Listing Name: Marchmont Estate, Walled Garden Including Greenhouses, Potting Sheds and Outer Garden
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393599
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46326
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Probably earlier 19th century with later alterations. Rectangular-plan walled garden (approximated 8,400m?) with greenhouses and potting sheds to NE; potting sheds and further irregular-plan outer walled garden adjoined to W (approximately 700m?). Tall, coped walls with red brick inner linings to NW and NE; harl-pointed rubble walls to both elevations to SW; lower wall to SE (missing in part). Cream sandstone ashlar door surrounds; boarded timber doors; carved coat-of-arms set above NW door; inscribed sandstone plaque above NE door. Little remains of original layout.
GREENHOUSES: 5-bay, symmetrical range of late 19th century greenhouses adjoining inner elevation NE wall with gabled projections facing SW. INTERIORS: original work benches; decorative floor grills; plain iron brackets; levers to open ridge vents in place.
POTTING SHED TO NW: single storey, mono-pitched potting shed adjoining outer elevation to NW. Squared and snecked tooled sandstone rubble; tooled dressings. Boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; flanking single windows. Grey slate roof; small rooflights. Pantile roof to timber addition to right. POTTING SHED TO NE: single storey, mono-pitched shed adjoining outer elevation to NE. Red brick; boarded timber doors; small-pane windows. Gabled greenhouse adjoined to left; mono-pitched projection to outer left. Grey slate roof to right; modern roofing material to outer left.
OUTER GARDEN: narrow, near rectangular-plan garden adjoining W corner. Tall, predominantly harl-pointed rubble walls (red brick inner lining to NE corner); no wall to SW. Modern gates.
B Group comprises Marchmont House, Adam Bridge, the Cottages near the Remains of Redbraes Castle, the Dovecot, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Ice House, The Kennel House, 1 & 2 Marchmont Estate Cottages, Redbraes, Stable Courtyard and the Walled Garden (see separate list entries). An impressive walled garden set to the SE of Marchmont House. The much-weathered plaque above the NE door, said to be dated 1712, was originally set in Greenlaw court house (demolished 1830). Inscribed in Latin, the plaque records how Patrick Hume, Earl of Marchmont, had the court house "...built at his own expense" following the restoration of Greenlaw as Berwickshire's head burgh in 1696. Although little remains of the garden's original layout, box hedges still define the central path. Garden ornaments, including fountain, removed late 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings