This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9582 / 55°57'29"N
Longitude: -3.2114 / 3°12'41"W
OS Eastings: 324464
OS Northings: 674570
OS Grid: NT244745
Mapcode National: GBR 8KC.0N
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.MHZQ
Plus Code: 9C7RXQ5Q+7C
Entry Name: Calton House, 30 Dean Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 24-30 (Even Nos) Dean Street, Former Secession Church and St Bernard's Church School
Listing Date: 20 April 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393617
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46337
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverleith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Former Secession Church circa 1826 with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 3-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan block (advanced at centre) forming part of terrace (No 30). Painted harl at ground to front; painted render above; sandstone rubble to sides (squared and coursed in part). Raised base course; raised string course dividing ground and 1st floors; corniced eaves. Former school adjoined to left designed by Robert Wright, 1826, converted to use as school circa 1844 with later additions and alterations. Irregular single storey, 6-bay grouping forming end of terrace comprising symmetrical 3-bay block to right (Nos 26 & 28); asymmetrical, 3-bay block to left (No 24).Sandstone ashlar to front; red brick to side. Corniced eaves to right; corniced and pendant-bracketed sandstone canopies to front.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: square-headed opening centred at ground; segmental-arched window above; single storey addition projecting to outer left. 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front. Grey slate piended roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: former 4-bay nave with regularly-spaced, segmental-arched windows in each bay. Predominantly lying-pane glazing (hoppers to front). Grey slate piended roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
FORMER SCHOOL, NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: large, bipartite window centred in 3-bay block to right with full-width canopy above; flush-panelled timber doors flanking at ground (blocked fanlight to right; small-pane fanlight to left); canopies surmounting both. Lower, 3-bay block to left with 2-leaf timber door in bay to right; fanlight; surmounting canopy; single windows in remaining bays to left. Single storey addition recessed to outer left.
FORMER CHURCH, NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting central bay with large, round-arched entrance at ground comprising 2-leaf, part-glazed doors with flanking side-lights (stylised border glazing throughout); decorative round-arched fanlight; surmounting keystone. 2 square-headed windows above entrance at 1st floor; single segmental-arched window centred at 2nd floor. Large, round-arched windows flanking entrance at ground; single square-headed windows above; segmental-arched windows aligned above. Deep-set, 2-leaf boarded timber door at ground to outer left. Single storey garage adjoined to right.
Church no longer in ecclesiastical use. Presently (1999) all one property and subdivided into offices. According to Grant, "about the year 1826, persons connected with the Relief Church afterwards sold to the United Secession body." Although the Post Office Directory makes no reference to St Bernard's School (then Dean Street School) until 1844, Kay's 1836 map shows an addition to the side of the church which, it is assumed, is the symmetrical block which now comprises Nos 26 and 28. Early maps show the lower addition to the E of this (now No 24) was
erected sometime between 1836 and 1853 - possibly around 1844 when Dean Street School was first recorded. The Edinburghbased architect Robert Wright is best known for designing Nos 39-43 Castle Street (with James McKain) - No 39 having been home to Sir Walter Scott from 1802-26 (see separate list entry). Other work by Wright includes his designs for Nos 22 and 36 Northumberland Street and Morningside Place.
Other nearby listed buildings