This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7889 / 55°47'20"N
Longitude: -2.2013 / 2°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 387474
OS Northings: 655085
OS Grid: NT874550
Mapcode National: GBR F12H.6P
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.5R0J
Plus Code: 9C7VQQQX+HF
Entry Name: Stables, Whitehall
Listing Name: Whitehall Stables
Listing Date: 6 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393652
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46363
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1896, possibly incorporating earlier structure, with later additions and alterations. Single storey, 6-bay rectangular-plan stable block with single storey additions at rear. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone to front; harl-pointed rubble to sides and rear; sandstone ashlar dressings; brick-built rear additions. Prominent quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled entrance in penultimate bay to outer right with large, segmental-arched opening breaking eaves at ground; central keystone dated '1896'; surmounting gablehead with clock at centre, decorative timber bargeboards, polygonal ridge vent with timber louvres and tapering finial; single windows at ground in flanking bays. Boarded timber door in penultimate bay to outer left; 2-pane fanlight; single window
to right (stepped mounting block set between); single window in bay to outer left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind elevation to original block to left. Single windows in brick-built addition recessed to right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting brick-built additions. Single window in original block recessed to outer left.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small rooflights. Grey slate piended roofs; central ridge ventilator. Brick-built stack; single can.
INTERIOR: finely appointed interior. Boarded timber tack-room; stove; plain fire-surround; timber panelled doors. Boarded timber dado panelling; whitewashed walls. Boarded timber partitions dividing stalls with iron railings and ball finials; part-railed boarded timber doors; iron hay racks. Replacement cobbles; boarded timber combed ceiling with timber trusses to main block; flat boarded ceiling to passage.
Originally, but no longer associated with the nearby Whitehall House - see separate list entry. The fact that something is shown on site in 1862 may indicate that the stables were rebuilt in 1896, possibly incorporating a previous structure. Still in use, there remain some good details, both inside and out.
Other nearby listed buildings