This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3196 / 56°19'10"N
Longitude: -3.0088 / 3°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 337700
OS Northings: 714589
OS Grid: NO377145
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.5V97
Mapcode Global: WH7S2.RFF5
Plus Code: 9C8R8X9R+RF
Entry Name: War Memorial, Nicholson Park, Cupar
Listing Name: Cart Haugh, Cupar War Memorial with Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 13 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393654
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46365
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Cupar
Traditional County: Fife
John Kinross, 1922 with Victory statue by H S Gamley; piers 1950. Square columnar War Memorial with Classical Greek detail, on ground falling steeply to E. Wide steps flanked by 2-stage square-section piers lead to rectangular-plan paved platform with decorative ironwork railings to 3 sides and 3-stage square-section Memorial to centre. Contrasting bronze and granite.
MEMORIAL: stepped granite plinth with pulvinated band below narrow frieze inscribed 'IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF CUPAR TOWN AND PARISH WHO FELL IN 1914-1918'.
Each face of reduced 2nd stage with corniced and fielded bronze memorial tablet below decorative frieze, and stylised fluted square-section urns set into outer angles, plain band above giving way to cresting of alternate large and small bronze acroteria. Further reduced 3rd stage with decorative frieze and cornice below monumental bronze winged Victory facing W.
PLATFORM AND BOUNDARY WALLS: narrow bull-faced bands surmounted by plain ashlar band with inset decorative ironwork railings.
W ELEVATION: 2 granite piers, each with plinth as memorial plinth giving way to band dated '1939' to left and '1945' to right; plain 2nd stage with bronze memorial tablet to W face and corniced decorative frieze giving way to bronze 'flame' finial.
Commemorative flag stone at base of memorial, worded 'QUEEN MARY PLACED A WREATH HERE ON AUGUST 30TH 1923'.
E ELEVATION: voussoired, ogee-topped, round-headed door to centre with memorial high on platform above.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: scale-and-platt steps with boundary walls.
This fine War Memorial was unveiled by Field Marshal Earl Haig in 1922, with the WWII piers unveiled by the Earl of Elgin in 1950. It was one of several war memorials designed by Kinross in conjunction with leading contemporary sculptors.
Other nearby listed buildings