This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.359 / 59°21'32"N
Longitude: -2.4175 / 2°25'3"W
OS Eastings: 376360
OS Northings: 1052600
OS Grid: HY763526
Mapcode National: GBR N3DZ.TDV
Mapcode Global: XH9S7.V1J0
Plus Code: 9CFV9H5J+JX
Entry Name: Gateside, Sanday
Listing Name: North Ronaldsay, Gateside, Including Outbuildings
Listing Date: 16 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393686
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46393
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cross and Burness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Cross And Burness
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1832. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, near symmetrical cottage adjoining 3-bay cottage to right (E); L-plan barn/byre range to W with 1 1/2 storey square-plan kiln at angle; small single bay store at right angles to main cottages to S; further larger store parallel to main cottages to S. Some harl-pointed rubble; drystone rubble elsewhere.
COTTAGE RANGE: S (ENTRANCE) ELEVAITON: bays grouped 3-3. 3-bay cottage to left: doorway, offset to left of centre. Window in bay to left. Window, part-blocked in bay to right. Cottage to right: central doorway with window in each bay flanking. N (REAR) ELEVATION: blank with small lean-to to outer right.
KILN RANGE: doorway to S elevation of E arm; gabled kiln to angle; blank elevations elsewhere.
STORES: doorway, offset to left in E elevation of small store. Doorway, offset to right, in N elevation of larger store; lean-to to outer left in S elevation; doorway, (blocked) offset to left in E (side) gable.
4-pane timber sash and case window remaining to cottage range. Flagstone roofs to main cottages; corniced, rubble gablehead stacks; tall can to E. Flagstone roofs with some turf overlay to outbuildings.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.
An interesting farm in terms of layout, Gateside, like Verracott (listed separately) and Bridesness, represents a type of farm which seems to have been influenced by agricultural reforms in Eastern Scotland and taken up in North Ronaldsay. The traditional layout of Orkney farms consisted of two lines of parallel buildings, one range comprising the house and byre, the other including the kiln and perhaps a second byre. The examples above seem to have been influenced by the layout of much larger, grander farms like that of Braebuster on the mainland (listed separately, St Andrews and Deerness Parish), and this derivative form seems to be peculiar to North Ronaldsay. Robert Scarth, the factor of North Ronaldsay, abolished the run-rig system here in 1832, reorganising the farms into squared plots. He quite possibly incorporated his ideas on the appropriate layout of buildings and the design of kilns might have derived from the 'high' farms, like Braebuster. Newman notes how the kilns in question on North Ronaldsay, 'appear as scaled down versions of the kind of large farms in the high farming tradition'. He goes on, 'North Ronaldsay has a number of small farms...which are quite different from the traditional double lines of buildings....The rectangular 1 1/2 storey kilns are set near the centre of the complex and at the side, rather that at the end, of the barn'. Gateside survives in a relatively unaltered state but is noted by Fenton as being empty in 1965. He also explains the somewhat odd arrangement of adjoining cottages, 'Gateside is, in fact, one building, comprising two dwelling houses end to end, built as a unit. The occupiers of these crofts were originally close relatives and Greenspot and Gateside are examples of crofts being divided between two sons. This took place well over a hundred years ago.' From records which show the apportionment of communal sheep in 1893, these close relatives appear to be Thomas and Neil Tulloch, who were allocated 10 sheep each.
Other nearby listed buildings