This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8429 / 55°50'34"N
Longitude: -2.0755 / 2°4'31"W
OS Eastings: 395371
OS Northings: 661082
OS Grid: NT953610
Mapcode National: GBR F0YW.G9
Mapcode Global: WH9Y4.2DYL
Plus Code: 9C7VRWVF+5R
Entry Name: Burnmouth Station
Listing Name: Burnmouth, Station House
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393768
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46453
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Opened 1849; closed 1962; converted to residential use later 20th century with further additions and alterations. Single storey, 6-bay, near T-plan former station building with gabled projection to outer left; various additions at rear. Squared, coursed and tooled cream sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings (droved in part). Base course; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Narrow quoin strips; droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to raised margins; projecting, painted cills.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door in penultimate bay to outer right with 4-pane fanlight; single windows in flanking bays (original clock face set between openings to right). Single window in bay off-set to left of centre; boarded timber door in subsequent bay to left with 4-pane fanlight. Bipartite window centred in gabled projection to outer left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: flush panelled timber door in penultimate bay to outer left with 2-pane fanlight; single window to outer left; lean-to addition to right. Lean-to greenhouse obscuring bays to right of centre. Piended red brick projection adjoining gabled wing advanced to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; lying-pane windows to outer left. Graded grey slate roof. Rendered stacks; various circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Originally the station building for a 2-platform through station, opened by the North British Railway in 1849 and closed in 1962. Noted in the OS Name Book as "... small though convenient building." Now in residential use with some interesting features, including the original clock face, signed 'Ritchie & Son, Edinburgh'. Bears some similarity to the former station at Chirnside - see separate list entry, 'Chirnside Parish, Berwickshire.'
Other nearby listed buildings