This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8641 / 55°51'50"N
Longitude: -2.0945 / 2°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 394186
OS Northings: 663442
OS Grid: NT941634
Mapcode National: GBR F0TM.CQ
Mapcode Global: WH9XX.SVTV
Plus Code: 9C7VVW74+M6
Entry Name: Outbuilding, Coach House And Stables, Netherbyres House
Listing Name: Netherbyres House, the Coach House and Stable Courtyard Including Cobbled Courtyard, Courtyard Walls, Gatepiers and Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393778
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46461
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Probably 18th century in origin with later additions and alterations circa 1833; converted to part-residential, part-office use late 20th century. Near symmetrical, U-plan stable courtyard comprising 2-storey, 3-bay former coach house at centre (converted to private residence); flanking single storey wings linking single storey with attic and 2-storey gabled ranges projecting to outer right and left respectively. Predominantly harl-pointed sandstone rubble; rubble dressings; part-rendered, red brick range to left. Tooled sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills in part.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay block at centre with modern timber door centred at ground; segmental-arched former cart openings at ground in flanking bays (infilled and glazed); single windows aligned at 1st floor; ogee-capped, circular ridge vent/former dovecot (?) centred above with surmounting wind vane. 2-bay wing to left with single windows in both bays. Gabled projection to outer left with exterior stair accessing timber panelled door centred at 1st floor; single windows in flanking bays; circular opening centred in apex; tapering finial surmounting gablehead. Single window centred in wing to right of coach house. Gabled projection to outer right with single attic window at centre.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay former coach house at centre with single windows at ground in bays to outer left and right; single window centred at 1st floor; ogee-capped ridge vent/former dovecot (?) aligned above. Single storey, 3-bay range to right with 2-leaf boarded timber door in bay to left; small single window at centre; part-boarded single window in bay to outer right. Single storey, 5-bay range to left of centre with square-headed door at centre; flanking single windows; single window in bay to outer right; boarded timber stable door in bay to outer left.
Predominantly replacement 12-pane timber windows; some original sash and case windows; modern rooflights. Grey slate roofs. Corniced ridge stack to NE; cans missing.
INTERIOR: converted to part-residential, part-office use; some stables in place. Not seen 1998.
COURTYARD WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped sandstone walls enclosing courtyard to front. Coursed cream sandstone, stop-chamfered, square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance; gates missing.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: various single storey structures to W including harl-pointed rubble, rectangular-plan block and 2 red brick, rectangular-plan blocks with polychrome dressings. Grey slate piended roofs throughout. INTERIORS: not seen 1998.
B Group comprises 'Netherbyres House', 'Netherbyres House, The Coach House & Stable Courtyard' and 'Netherbyres House, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. A fundamentally sympathetic conversion, with some good details - the ogee-capped ridge vent/former dovecot (?), slate roofs and retention of the near-symmetrical arrangement being particularly notable. A 'Specification for converting the present oustead (?) at Netherbyres into coach and office houses for Capt. Brown, 1833' (GD416/4/5) suggests that much of this U-plan range was in place by then and it therefore, predates the existing Netherbyres House - itself built to replace an earlier house in 1834.
Other nearby listed buildings