This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1953 / 56°11'42"N
Longitude: -2.9962 / 2°59'46"W
OS Eastings: 338277
OS Northings: 700741
OS Grid: NO382007
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FQSL
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YJDZ
Plus Code: 9C8V52W3+4G
Entry Name: British Linen Bank Building, Forth Street, Leven
Listing Name: 2 Forth Street, Bank of Scotland Building and Forth House
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393823
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46497
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1893. 3-storey, 5-bay, classically-detailed commercial chambers (former bank building) with dwellings above, in irregular terrace to NW. Squared and snecked, rock-faced rubble with droved ashlar dressings, stone-cleaned. Moulded dividing courses and eaves course. Broken apex pediments, segmentally-pedimented apex detail to gableheads, pedimented dormerheads and oriel windows. Chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: doorcase to centre bay with fluted pilasters on panelled dies, deep plain frieze and cornice giving way to broken apex pediment, 3-leaf panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight; 6-light transomed windows in flanking bays with 4-light transomed window to outer left and paired, pedimented doorways to outer right (that to outer right converted to window). 1st floor with single window with broken apex pediment in bay to centre, further windows in flanking bays, and canted tripartite oriel windows with deep blocking courses to outer bays, moulded stone 'A 1893 D' beyond to right. 4-bays to 2nd floor, 2 windows to centre each breaking eaves into ball-finialled pedimented dormerhead, and bipartite windows to outer gabled bays, each with gunloop in gablehead.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor, fixed windows to ground and pivot to 2nd floor. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: Forth House: timber dog-leg staircase with ball-finialled newel posts, boarded dado, some panelled soffits, and plain cornices. Bank of Scotland Building: egg-and-dart cornices.
Originally the British Linen Bank with bankhouse over, the building was divided circa 1960 into The Bank of Scotland, a solicitor's office (now Forth House), and residential at 2nd floor. The Bank of Scotland Building was later sold to the Anglia, Hastings and Thanet Building Society, and subsequently the Nationwide Building Society.
Other nearby listed buildings