This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9372 / 55°56'13"N
Longitude: -3.0864 / 3°5'11"W
OS Eastings: 332229
OS Northings: 672102
OS Grid: NT322721
Mapcode National: GBR 2D.YVZP
Mapcode Global: WH6SV.K1H9
Plus Code: 9C7RWWP7+VC
Entry Name: Wanton Walls Farm, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Newhailes Policies, Wanton Walls Farmhouse and Steading
Listing Date: 12 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393885
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46550
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Portobello/Craigmillar
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 18th century. U-plan farm steading, with 2-storey, 5-bay house to centre and single storey wings adjoining to form open courtyard. Harled sandstone rubble. Boarded timber doors; some long and short dressings; projecting cills; crowstepped gables to wings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay block to centre; advanced flue of wallhead stack through ground and 1st floors of centre, flanked to left and right by doorway flanked to left by window at ground floor, letterbox fanlight to doorway to right; 2 regularly placed windows to left and right of stack;
piend-roofed bay advanced to right, door to left of ground floor, modern additions adjoining to right, window to left return. Gabled wing advanced to outer left, oculus set in gablehead; roof missing in places; doorway to right of right return, flanked by small link block to centre block; left return not seen 1999. Gabled wing advanced to outer right, window to centre, oculus set in gablehead, left and right returns not seen 1999.
NE ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; harled bay to left with window to 1st floor, flanked to right by window; irregular fenestration to 2 flanking bays to right .
SW ELEVATION: gabled; predominantly obscured by adjoining wing (see above).
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with stone and lead ridges to house; red pantiled roof to wings.
Coped stone skews. Coped, harled gablehead, wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Wanton Walls was originally part of the estate of Whitehill, which was owned in the 17th century by the Preston family. In the late 17th century James Smith bought the estate. In 1702 Smith sold some of estate of Lord Broughtoun, and this in turn was bought by the Dalrymples of the Hailes Estate in 1709, when its name was changed to Newhailes. James Smith retained the part of the estate which included Wanton Walls, although it was initially called Whitehill. After Smith's death in the 1730s Sir James Dalrymple bought what was then referred to as "Whitehill now called Wanton Walls" at a judicial roup. Dalrymple then sold some of this to Andrew Wauchope of Niddrie Marshall for £850 Scots, which appears to include what was then regarded as the "mansion house" at Wanton Walls, now the farm steading. Wanton Walls Farm Steading, despite some alterations and deterioration remains an important early survival of the Whitehill Estate, owned for over 40 years by James Smith, and now part of the Newhailes Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings