This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8577 / 55°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.2602 / 4°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 258623
OS Northings: 665032
OS Grid: NS586650
Mapcode National: GBR 0KM.GX
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.J1J7
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5Q+3W
Entry Name: 41 Oswald Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 33, 35 and 41 Oswald Street
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393920
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46591
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J J Craig, 1901 with later alterations. Near symmetrical, 4-storey, 6-bay, Baroque-detailed warehouse/office block. Red sandstone ashlar; ashlar dressings. Base course; architraved string course between ground and 1st floors; architraved cill courses at 2nd and 3rd floors; mutuled, corniced eaves; coped parapet. Rusticated quoins; Gibbsian surrounds to ground and 3rd floor openings; keystoned, shouldered surrounds to 1st floor windows; keystoned, corniced surrounds to 2nd floor windows with decorative aprons. Sandstone mullions and transoms throughout.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows centred at ground; large, segmental-arched openings in flanking bays; bipartite window to outer left; single opening to outer right. Regularly fenestrated upper floors with bipartite windows flanking centre; tripartite windows to left and right (columnar mullions and central pediments at 2nd floor); bipartite windows to outer left and right. Shaped pediment centred above dated '1901'.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Plate glass timber windows with small-pane uppers throughout. Grey slate roof. Corniced stacks with circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
A well-detailed, prominent building forming part of a group of warehouses/offices designed by J J Craig for the iron and steel tube manufacturers and exporters, Stewarts & Lloyds. Dated 1901 and completed in 1903, this is the earliest and finest of Craig's 3 neighbouring buildings - the other 2 having been completed in 1906 and 1910 respectively (still in place 1999). Damaged by fire in 2002. Facade retained during conversion to flats circa 2005.
Other nearby listed buildings