This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9161 / 55°54'57"N
Longitude: -2.1402 / 2°8'24"W
OS Eastings: 391337
OS Northings: 669226
OS Grid: NT913692
Mapcode National: GBR F0H1.G3
Mapcode Global: WH9XQ.3K4J
Plus Code: 9C7VWV85+CW
Entry Name: Gate Piers And Gate, Boundary Walls, St Abb's Head Lighthouse
Listing Name: St Abb's Head, Lightkeeper's Cottage, Lighthouse Retreat and Keeper's Hold Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393998
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46662
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
David and Thomas Stevenson, circa 1862 with later additions and alterations.
LIGHTKEEPER'S COTTAGE: single storey, 4-bay, M-gabled cottage with lower, single bay wing to side. Whitewashed brick; painted dressings. Base course; eaves course; projecting cills. NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; 3-pane fanlight. Single window in bay to left; single windows in bays to outer left and right. Lower wing slightly recessed to right with boarded timber door off-set to left of centre. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay principal block with small window to outer right; single windows to left. Lower wing recessed to outer left. Modern garage block to front. Modern 4-pane timber windows. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Coped sandstone ridge and apex stacks. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
RETREAT HOUSE AND KEEPER'S HOLD: 2-storey, 4-bay subdivided house with single storey, lean-to additions to sides. Whitewashed brick; painted dressings. Base course; eaves course; projecting cills. NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey projection off-set to left of centre with bipartite windows centred at both floors; coped wall adjoined to right obscuring exterior stair accessing 2-leaf, boarded timber door at 1st floor in bay recessed to right; single windows at both floors in bays to outer left and right. Single storey, 2-bay, lean-to additions recessed to left and right with single windows in both bays to left; boarded timber door and single window to right. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: M-gabled principal block with near full-width, lean-to projection to front. SE (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 3-bay principal block at centre. Single windows in lean-to additions to outer left and right. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: M-gabled principal block with lean-to projection off-set to left of centre; 2-storey addition recessed to outer right. Predominantly 12-pane, horizontal-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some modern windows. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Coped sandstone apex stacks. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped, whitewashed walls partially enclosing site. Whitewashed rubble, square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance; corniced, pyramidal caps; single gate.
B Group comprises 'St Abb's Head, Lighthouse' and 'St Abb's Head, Lightkeeper's Cottage, Lighthouse Retreat & Keeper's Hold' - see separate list entry. Although now in separate ownership, both the lighthouse and the cottages once associated with it form a significant group, prominently set on St Abb's Head (a nature reserve). Commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, the lighthouse was opened on 24th February 1862 and is still in use. The cottages are now leased for holiday accommodation (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings