This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9743 / 55°58'27"N
Longitude: -3.2049 / 3°12'17"W
OS Eastings: 324900
OS Northings: 676356
OS Grid: NT249763
Mapcode National: GBR 8L5.9W
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.R31C
Plus Code: 9C7RXQFW+P2
Entry Name: 13 Earl Haig Gardens, Trinity, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1-31 (Inclusive Nos) Earl Haig Gardens
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394073
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46726
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Macintyre Henry and Thomas Forbes Maclennan, 1921. Quadrangle comprising 4 asymmetrical terraces of 2-storey flats and houses facing central garden/ play area. Terraces to NE and SW (Nos 11-15 and 28-31 inclusive) Arts and Crafts cottage-style with swept roofs and overhanging eaves, roll-moulded doorways and tabbed window surrounds; those to NW and SE (Nos 1-10 and 16-27 inclusive) Inter-War Classical, with corniced open pediments and oculi. Harled brick, smooth to Nos 11-15 and 28-31, rough to Nos 1-10 and 28-31, with stone dressings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION OF NOS 1-10: mirrored from central block; bays grouped 1, 2, 8, 4, 8, 2, 1; outer 2 bays lower. Regularly fenestrated. Corniced open pediment with garlanded returns to central bay; 2 2-light windows to ground and 1st floor and oculus in gable. Penultimate bays to left and right slightly advanced, with corniced open pediments and 2-light windows at ground and 1st floor. Paired arched doorways with cornices on consoles above in bays 4, 6, 8 and 10; 2-leaf timber panelled doors (several replaced) with decorative semicircular fanlights above; small window to 1st floor above each doorway.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: open pediment; square-headed door with cornice on console off-set to rear at ground; window above door to 1st floor.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: central block stepped back.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION OF NOS 11-15: mirrored from centre. 3 outer bays advanced, with 4-light windows at ground, 3-light windows at 1st breaking eaves in paired wallhead gables in 2 outermost bays, boarded doors in roll-moulded surrounds with off-set small window at 1st in innermost advanced bay. Boarded door in roll-moulded surround in central bay, 2-light windows at ground and 1st in flanking bays. Stone 'sarcophagi' memorial plaques over central door and between 2 outer bays.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: boarded door and 2 small flanking windows with hoodmoulding over to ground floor; 2 windows above.
NW (PRINCPAL) ELEVATION OF NOS 16-27: mirrored from centre. Bays grouped 2, 2, 5, 2, 5, 2 and 2. Regularly fenestrated. 3 advanced 2-bay sections at bays 3 and 4, 10 and 11 and 17 and 18, with garlanded open pediments, 2 2-light windows to ground and 1st floors and oculi in gables. Arched doorways with cornice on consoles over in bays 2, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16 and 19; timber panelled doors with decorative semicircular fanlights over (open pend with entrance to flats at Nos 7 and 14).
SIDE ELEVATIONS: slated swept-roofed lean-to porches with steps up to door in NW return. Slated washhouses to N and S.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION OF NOS 28-31: mirrored from centre. Outer bays with 4-light windows at ground, 3-light windows at 1st floor in wallhead gable (swept lower to outside). Arched doorway to pend in central bay, flanked by 2-storey canted bays. Bays 3 and 7 have boarded doors in roll-moulded surrounds. Harling swept to form dividing, course stepped up over carved memorial plaques over doors.
Nos 1-10 and 16-27:- 12 pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Stone coped harled brick stacks on ridges and at end gableheads. Stone skew at No 1-10; terracotta ridge to piend roof at Nos 16-26. Modern windows to Nos 11-15 and 28-31. Red roof tiles. Stone coped harled brick stacks (some with flanking ventilation panels), mainly on ridges, with circular cans.
First World War Ex-Servicemen's Settlement for disabled ex-servicemen and their families, built on part of the garden ground of Mayfield House, which belonged to the Salvesen family. Foundation stone laid 25th October 1919 by Lord Salvesen, Chairman of the Scottish Veterans Garden City Association. Opened 1st October 1921 by Field Marshall Earl Haig. Carved tablets commemorate the sons of local families, including the Salvesens, who died in action.
Other nearby listed buildings