This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9793 / 55°58'45"N
Longitude: -3.2103 / 3°12'37"W
OS Eastings: 324571
OS Northings: 676921
OS Grid: NT245769
Mapcode National: GBR 8K4.62
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.NZG1
Plus Code: 9C7RXQHQ+PV
Entry Name: 36 Primrose Bank Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 36-42 (Even Nos) Primrose Bank Road, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394104
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46745
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
A Hunter Crawford, 1895, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic red brick and mock half-timber symmetrical terrace of 4 houses with contrasting stone dressings, mirrored at centre. Bays grouped 2-4-2; 2-bay gabled outer blocks slightly advanced; base course of darker brick, stone band lintel course to ground and battered stone band to 1st floor cills and eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrically arranged black and white painted projecting windows with stone cills and brick bases to 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th bays. All doors off-centre in remaining bays, with projecting stone cornice over oval fanlight and depressed-arched doorways; timber panelled doors with decorative hinges. Half-timbering under eaves at 1st floor in central block, attic floor in outer blocks. Regular fenestration; paired windows in gables, 2 flat-roofed slate-hung dormers in roof.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: slated half-piend-roofed porches, that to E behind later garage addition; brick chimneybreast breaking half-timbering in gableheads.
REAR ELEVATION: considerable later alterations and additions.
Timber casement windows: plate glass lower, 4-pane upper to ground floor; predominantly 16-pane above. Red tiled roofs swept to over-hanging eaves. Stone coped brick stacks on ridge at centre and gable end with decorative terracotta cans. Stone coped mutual skew.
WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low stone walls, stone and brick gatepiers with pyramidal caps at 2 central pedestrian gates.
Built for James S Crawford. Style popularised in Edinburgh and East Lothian by Dunn & Findlay from 1890's.
Other nearby listed buildings