This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8255 / 55°49'31"N
Longitude: -3.2239 / 3°13'26"W
OS Eastings: 323422
OS Northings: 659812
OS Grid: NT234598
Mapcode National: GBR 51X2.TK
Mapcode Global: WH6T5.GV10
Plus Code: 9C7RRQGG+5C
Entry Name: 32 West Street, Penicuik
Listing Name: 32 West Street, Former South Church Manse, Including Boundary Wall, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394202
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46830
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Penicuik
Traditional County: Midlothian
Later 19th century, circa 1862. 2-storey, 3-bay classical house, built as manse for South Church (see separate listing). Stugged ashlar principal elevation, remainder stugged, squared and snecked sandstone. Base course; cill course at 1st floor; block cornice; blocking course surmounted by central tablet. Projecting cills. Strip quoin at 1st floor to left.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced porch centred at ground, surmounted by block pediment, deep frieze, broad panelled pilasters flanking recessed former 2-leaf, 4-panel timber door, with glazed upper panels and decorative rectangular lozenge-patterned fanlight. Windows in remaining bays at ground; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Chamfered corner at ground to left, swept to square at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: barred window to left of centre at ground; recessed later doorway to outer left at ground, comprising 2-leaf metal door, rolled steel beam as lintel.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: infilled doorway to right of centre at ground. Irregularly fenestrated; window to left of centre and barred window to outer left at ground, pair of windows centred at 1st floor, windows to outer left and right at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: blank elevation, with pair of infilled irregular doors centred at ground.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1999.
Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Stugged ashlar wallhead stacks; corniced, with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES: low ashlar wall to street, with saddleback coping, stepped up to right, surmounted by iron railings with some floreate finials, iron gates at centre and left.
B Group formed with West Street Hall, West Street (see separate listing) for their juxtaposition and inter-relationship on a strategic site, and for their historical interest.
West Street Hall was the first church of Penicuik's Free Church congregation, formed in 1843. When the growing congregation deemed the site too small, Sir George Clerk of Penicuik gave land to the south of the River North Esk on the Peebles Road for a new church designed by F T Pilkington (Penicuik South Church, see separate listing). Sir George Clerk also gave land adjacent to the church in West Street for the building of a manse, and 32 West Street was used as such until the building of a larger manse on Bog Road in 1896. After the new manse was built, 32 West Street was used as a police station, with a cell block at the rear, and later as a copper craft work. In 1978 the site came up for sale, and the building and grounds were re-bought by the South Church.
Other nearby listed buildings