This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0665 / 56°3'59"N
Longitude: -3.1794 / 3°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 326668
OS Northings: 686586
OS Grid: NT266865
Mapcode National: GBR 28.PZMG
Mapcode Global: WH6S1.4S87
Plus Code: 9C8R3R8C+H6
Entry Name: Clubhouse, Kinghorn Golf Club, Burntisland Road, Kinghorn
Listing Name: 14 Macduff Crescent, Old Golf Clubhouse Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394204
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46835
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Andrew Jackson, Burntisland, 1894. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, clubhouse with engaged semi-octagonal entrance tower. Rock-faced squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Base and eaves courses. Drip-moulds, relieving arches, stop-chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to right of centre with bipartite window at ground and single windows in finialled gablehead; semi-octagonal tower in re-entrant angle to left with panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and flanking narrow lights surmounted by deep frieze with ashlar panel inscribed 'KGC 1894', tower roof over with brattishing and flagpole; 4-light transomed window breaking eaves into finialled pedimented dormerhead in bay to left.
NE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 windows at ground below nameboard as above and thinly corbelled stack.
6-pane upper over 2-pane lower, and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Slates; fishscale pattern to tower. Coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative gutter fixings and finials.
BOUNDARY WALLS: saddleback- and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
The former Kinghorn Golf Clubhouse is a well-detailed late 19th century example of its building type. Prominantly located beside the road, its semi-octagonal entrance tower with flagpole adds significantly to its character. Now converted to residential use, the inscribed initials KGC are a physical reminder of its historical association with the Kinghorn Golf Club.
Kinghorn Golf Club was instituted on 27th January, 1887. A 9-hole course was laid out by renowned golfing pioneer, Old Tom Morris of St Andrews and the club was officially opened on 23rd July by Mr William Nelson, an Edinburgh publisher.
Scotland is internationally recognised as the cultural home of golf. Golf was being played in Scotland in the mid 15th century and James II of Scotland considered the game to be a dangerous distraction from maintaining military skills and prohibited its playing in 1457. The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf' were written in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers in Edinburgh. Its principles, as played over 18 holes, still underpin the regulations of the modern game. The popularity of golf in Scotland increased significantly with improved transport and availability of leisure time from the mid 19th century onwards. Early clubs and societies initially met in rooms at an inn or a members' house near to their course. Purpose-built clubhouses became more common from the mid-nineteenth century onwards.
The Scottish Golf Union have indicated there are currently (2013) around 550 golf courses in Scotland with a total membership of approximately 236,000.
Change of Statutory Address and List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13). Previously listed as "Burntisland Road, Kinghorn Golf Club, Clubhouse Including Boundary Walls".
Other nearby listed buildings