This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0708 / 56°4'14"N
Longitude: -3.4471 / 3°26'49"W
OS Eastings: 310013
OS Northings: 687382
OS Grid: NT100873
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PKK6
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.0NTY
Plus Code: 9C8R3HC3+85
Entry Name: Barum House, Park Place, Dunfermline
Listing Name: Park Place, Barum House
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394315
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46926
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1875. 2-storey; irregular-plan; 3-bay; detached villa. Scottish Baronial design with crowstepped gables, mullioned windows and tower with attic storey and bartizans to principal (W) elevation. Coursed rockfaced sandstone to principal elevation; coursed stugged rubble elsewhere; droved ashlar dressings. Base course and eaves course to principal elevation. Architraved windows with chamfered and stopped reveals to principal elevation; stugged long and shorts with droved inner surround elsewhere.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay; asymmetrical arrangement. Central entrance set back under tower projecting at 1st floor; roll-moulded round arch supported on flanking chamfered and stopped square-plan piers with cushion-like capitals; panelled 2-leaf timber door with 2-pane fanlight. Open porch formed by base of tower with round-arched openings identical to that of entrance (including supporting piers) to front and right return. Tower corbelled out slightly at 1st floor; mullioned bipartite with with stepped label-mould with panel at head to front; window to right return. Small round-arched front window to attic above. Corbelled conical-roofed bartizan with arrowhead opening and decorative wrought-iron finial at each angle of tower. Tall piendeded roof of tower surmounted by decorative wrought-iron brattishing. Wall of house set forward to left of entrance (set back slightly from tower); gabled bay (with decorative wrought-iron finial) projects slightly to outer left. Rectangular-plan mullioned tripartite bay window with cornice surmounted by crenellated parapet to ground floor. Bipartite with stepped label-mould with panel at head above. Right bay flush with entrance. Mullioned quadripartite canted window with cornice surmounted by crenellated parapet to ground floor. Breaking-eaves gabled bipartite dormer with thistle finial above.
N ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. 2 windows to left to each floor; upper ones rectangular piended-roofed breaking-eaves dormers. Late 20th century window inserted to outer left of ground floor. Single storey piended-roofed service wing to E wraps around left corner; entrance with 4-panel timber door and 2-light rectangular fanlight; window to left.
S ELEVATION: gabled section projects to left. 2 windows to ground floor; one to right above. Bay set back to right; window to each floor; that to 1st floor rectangular piended-roofed breaking-eaves dormer.
E ELEVATION: stair window to left of centre; small window below. Single storey piended service wing projects to right; small entrance with boarded timber door to left; 2 late 20th century inserted windows with concrete cills to left return.
Mainly UPVC replacement windows. Grey slate roofs (laid in fishscale pattern to bartizans and in bands to tower). Shouldered wallhead stacks with band courses to N and E; gablehead stack to S; octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble wall with rounded coping encloses grounds of house on all sides. Pair of square-plan coursed stugged sandstone gatepiers to N; chamfered and droved at edges and with droved pyramid caps.
An imposing principal elevation in an elevated position overlooking what would have been (in the 1870's) the newly established public park.
Other nearby listed buildings