This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0787 / 56°4'43"N
Longitude: -3.4834 / 3°29'0"W
OS Eastings: 307769
OS Northings: 688310
OS Grid: NT077883
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.P3C2
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.GGGV
Entry Name: Rumblingwell, Milesmark Primary School, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394332
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46948
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Andrew Scobie, 1874-76 with earlier and later 20th century additions. Single storey; I-plan; Gothic Revival school with ball-finialled gabled bays and prominent 6-light mullioned and transomed windows with pointed relieving arches. Coursed stugged snecked sandstone with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; coped gables. Chamfered openings; all Caernarvon-headed apart from those to rear (N) elevation and pointed central light of 6-light mullioned and transomed windows.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. 3 bays set back to centre; central one wider and gabled with flanking stacks to gable and central 6-light mullioned and transomed window; 2-light mullioned window to each of flanking bays. 3-bay sections with low outer flanking buttresses project forward to either side; each with gabled entrance bay to inner return; inner entrance to each side (one for girls, one for boys); that to left has original timber door with diagonally boarded panels; both have rectangular fanlights and 2-light mullioned window to outer side; circular label-moulded vent to each gable. Gabled central bay to front of each projecting section; each with central 6-light mullioned and transomed window and trefoiled vent at apex; narrow flanking windows set back slightly.
E ELEVATION: gabled central bay with 6-light mullioned and transomed window. 2 windows formerly to either side; outer one and additional narrow window to left now largely obscured by later 20th century rendered flat-roofed extension. Slightly projecting gabled outer bays; each with 6-light mullioned and transomed window.
W ELEVATION: gabled flanking outer bays; each with 6-light mullioned and transomed window and trefoiled vent at apex. Earlier 20th century rendered flat-roofed porch extension to left in between; entrance to left return.
N ELEVATION: 3 2-light mullioned windows set back to centre. Gabled sections (without finials/coping) project to either side; each with central 4-light mullioned and transomed window with narrow flanking windows, circular vent at apex of gable and low buttress to outer edge; 3 windows and rendered lean-to to inner return of left projecting section; narrow window and 2-light mullioned window to inner return of right one.
Mainly 4 and 8-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Pair of coped wallhead stacks flanking gable to S; one slightly shouldered and rebuilt in red brick to inner return of NW projecting section; cans largely missing.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
BOUNDARY WALL: extends along Rumblingwell and Parneuk Road to enclose triangular site. Coursed stugged snecked sandstone with chamfered droved ashlar coping and cast-iron railings (punctuated by piers) to Rumblingwell; square-plan gatepiers with elaborately moulded coping centred on school. Coursed sandstone rubble walling with rounded coping to Parneuk Road.
An intact Gothic Revival school built following the Education Act of 1872 which made elementary education compulsory.
Other nearby listed buildings