This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8531 / 55°51'11"N
Longitude: -3.0221 / 3°1'19"W
OS Eastings: 336108
OS Northings: 662688
OS Grid: NT361626
Mapcode National: GBR 70BR.JN
Mapcode Global: WH7VD.K43R
Plus Code: 9C7RVX3H+75
Entry Name: Steading, Blinkbonny Farm
Listing Name: Blinkbonny Farmhouse and Steading, Including Chimneystack
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394341
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46960
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
1839. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan farmhouse and double courtyard farm, rough harled sandstone house; tooled sandstone rubble to steading.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; central projecting gabled porch; tooled sandstone. Fanlight above door; window to right and left returns. Single windows flank porch; 1st floor windows centred above ground floor windows and porch.
SW ELEVATION: not seen, 1999.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: plain gable to rear wing. Later rear porch addition to right.
NE ELEVATION: ground and 1st floor window to right. 2-bay wing recessed to right; 2 ground floor windows; gabled dormer breaking eaves to right.
12-pane timber sash and case ground floor windows; 8-pane 1st floor windows. Slate roof; gable apex stacks; ridge stack to NW wing; stone coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1999.
Sandstone rubble garden wall with rough coping stones adjoins rear W wing. Square sandstone piers to entrance; corniced ashlar coping stones; replacement timber gate.
Later cattleshed to SE; sliding door to gable ends; arched opening to NW gable; plain elevation to SW; square openings to NE elevation with external top hung shutters. Recent corrugated-iron roof with vents. Stable to right; windows with openings above, sliding timber shutters below. Cartshed range backs on to rear of stables; 2 arched openings; stable to right; 2-storey granary to right with arched cartshed opening below; square openings above. Threshing barn at right angles to cartshed and granary range; mounting block to right; gabled opening to NW; adjoining engine house to SE. Tall circular chimney attached to engine house; large square stone base; brick chimney of alternating red and yellow brick spirals. Stack yard/cattle court to E of granary; bounded on 3 sides by sheds; arched openings to NW and SE; feeding troughs in E building; tall wall with gatepiers bounds courtyard to W. Court divided by rubble wall. Bull-nosed corner to S shed; shed set back to right with arched opening; datestone above (1839); rounded quoin to right gable. Second court to right; sheltershed to left; 2 arched openings to shed to NW; cow sheds to right. Later implement shed to E positioned away from main buildings; chamfered openings; central cast-iron column; recent corrugated-iron roof.
Timber boarded doors and shutters; slated pitched roofs; raised skews.
A typical example of a Lothian steading for mixed farming; (cattle and arable) which has been largely untouched. The tall polychromatic brick chimney is of note. The adjacent steam engine house powered the threshing mill; a dam is depicted NW of steading on the 1st Edition OS Map. Farm workers cottages to NW (not part of Statutory List).
Other nearby listed buildings