This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.0449 / 57°2'41"N
Longitude: -2.8642 / 2°51'51"W
OS Eastings: 347660
OS Northings: 795201
OS Grid: NO476952
Mapcode National: GBR WN.B7KL
Mapcode Global: WH7NN.Z674
Plus Code: 9C9V24VP+X8
Entry Name: Boathouse On Fish Pond, Glen Tanar House
Listing Name: Glen Tanar Estate, Boathouse on the Fish Pond
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394467
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47083
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably Thomas Mawson, late 19th century. Single storey, single bay, rectangular-plan rustic boathouse on the Fish Pond. Rounded granite rubble dry stone walls. Timber bargeboards.
SW (LAKE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; open bay surmounted by advanced boarded timber gable.
SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: blank.
NE ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-centre to right; boarded timber gable.
Corrugated iron and turf roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
The Glen Tanar Estate was originally a deer forest which was part of the Aboyne Castle Estate. In 1869 Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, a Manchester banker and MP, bought the estate from the 10th Marquis of Huntly. He employed Thomas Mawson to layout the garden and estate, George Truefitt as architect, and 250 masons to construct the buildings, built of granite quarried locally. The majority of buildings on the estate were designed by Truefitt, however the boathouse seems likely to have been the work of Mawson, with the summerhouse, steps, balustrades, and various lakes which are all part of the gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings