This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4937 / 55°29'37"N
Longitude: -3.4148 / 3°24'53"W
OS Eastings: 310707
OS Northings: 623120
OS Grid: NT107231
Mapcode National: GBR 44LX.HH
Mapcode Global: WH6VT.J53S
Plus Code: 9C7RFHVP+F3
Entry Name: Victoria Lodge
Listing Name: Victoria Lodge, to North of Talla Reservoir
Listing Date: 17 April 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394508
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47120
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
J & A Leslie & Reid, circa 1900. 2-storey and basement, 2-bay Scots Renaissance lodge with courtyard to NE. Harled with red sandstone dressings. Base course; long and short quoins; chamfered reveals; eaves cornice; crowstepped gables with stone finials to apex.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left, 5-light canted sandstone window through ground and 1st floors with piended slate roof, sandstone tablet centred above; right return not seen 2000. Tripartite window to ground floor of recessed bay to right, single segmentalheaded window breaking eaves to 1st
floor above. Single storey block adjoining to outer right, pedimented window to centre, balustraded parapet, right return not seen 2000.
E AND N ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; outer left not seen 2000. Gabled bay advanced to left, canted window to ground floor, window to centre of 1st floor above, bipartite window to ground floor of right return, segmentalheaded window breaking eaves to 1st floor. 3 recessed bays flanking to right; ingleneuk advanced to centre of ground floor, windows to left and right returns, bipartite pedimented windows flanking to left and right, 2 segmentalheaded windows breaking eaves to 1st floor.
Variety of small-pane timber windows. Grey-green slate roof with lead ridges. Stone skews.
Corniced wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Jacobean stone and timber panelled dog-leg staircase to hall, with turned balusters and decorative newel posts. Grand panelled boardroom, ingleneuk fireplace set in segmental arch, with deep frieze; decoratively moulded frieze to principal boardroom, fluted Ionic columns supporting beams, painted roundels above panelled timber doors, boarded panelled ceiling. Decoratively tiled washrooms and toilets with original fittings still extant.
The Talla Reservoir was built between 1895 and 1905 to serve Edinburgh. The reservoir is linked to Edinburgh by an aqueduct 36 miles long, which at the time of construction had a railway running alongside to aid the 650 men who were building it. Victoria Lodge was part of the reservoir development. The fine Scots Renaissance building, which overlooks the reservoir, includes a grand timber panelled board room, kitchen, pantry and exceptionally fine toilet facilities in addition to staff bedrooms.
Other nearby listed buildings