History in Structure

16 Cramond Village, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9798 / 55°58'47"N

Longitude: -3.3004 / 3°18'1"W

OS Eastings: 318955

OS Northings: 677074

OS Grid: NT189770

Mapcode National: GBR 24.W8HR

Mapcode Global: WH6SC.8YNP

Plus Code: 9C7RXMHX+WV

Entry Name: 16 Cramond Village, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 7, 8, 9, 16 and 17 Cramond Village

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394655

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47284

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200394655

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Almond

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Terrace house

Find accommodation in


Circa 1780 - 90; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959 - 61. 4 plain vernacular 2 storey houses forming terrace stepped down towards sea. Predominantly 3-bay; No 9: 4-bay with single pend entry to ground in bay to outer right. Rectangular-plan; near-symmetrical disposition of openings. Whitewashed harl; continuous eaves course; painted surrounds to openings; boarded timber doors; plain surrounds at rear with projecting cills.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single doors to each property centred at ground (single door off-set to left of centre No 9); regularly fenestrated at both floors in remaining bays.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: sloping whitewashed rubble wall divides Nos 7 and 8 from remainder. Single doors at ground in central bays; single windows a-symmetrically disposed at ground and 1st floors; some painted surrounds, remainder plain with projecting cills.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantile roofs with raised skews. Harled apex stacks to each property; precast concrete copes; circular cans; single harled ridge stack to centre No 9; concrete cope; single terracotta can.

INTERIORS: not seen 1996.

Statement of Interest

Cramond A Group. Part of an industrial community built for workers in the mills on the River Almond, Nos 7 - 17 played a key role in the Cramond restoration project carried out by Ian Lindsay & Partners between 1959 and 1961 (commissioned by Edinburgh Corporation). As can be seen at Newhaven (a scheme executed by Lindsay & Partners a decade later), the precedents set here were highly influential. Note the whitewashed harl, machine-made red pantiles and timber sash and case windows - features common to both projects. Despite an element of standardisation and complete internal conversion, the vernacular of the Scottish fishing/industrial village has been retained and the original character preserved (compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St Monance, Fife - both of which were recorded by Lindsay). His work at Cramond is acknowledged as an early and relatively successful attempt to restore the architectural core of a village in decline.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.