This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 60.2707 / 60°16'14"N
Longitude: -1.2872 / 1°17'13"W
OS Eastings: 439535
OS Northings: 1154263
OS Grid: HU395542
Mapcode National: GBR R15L.GVQ
Mapcode Global: XHD2R.N33P
Plus Code: 9CGW7PC7+74
Entry Name: Kergord House, Weisdale
Listing Name: Weisdale, Kergord House, Including Glasshouse, Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 18 October 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394686
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47310
Building Class: Cultural
County: Shetland Islands
Electoral Ward: Shetland West
Traditional County: Shetland
Circa 1850, with rear wing and glasshouse added circa 1910, porch heightened and W wing added in 1947. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay symmetrical L-plan house, single storey lean-to additions to E and W gables with rectangular gabled conservatory adjoining S wall of latter. Harled walls with painted droved ashlar dressings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION; symmetrical, 2-storey flat-roofed porch advanced in centre bay with wider multi-pane window at ground and blocking course at eaves centred by decorative former chimney base, entrance door to E side and occuli at 1st floor to each side. Regularly-fenestrated principal elevation recessed to right and left with enlarged windows at ground.
W ELEVATION: ground floor of house concealed by large single storey wing with mono-pitch roof; parapetted S wall adjoining large timber glasshouse with rendered base, glazed and panelled entrance door in E side.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled 2-storey wing advanced at right, single storey W wing extending to right with 3 closely spaced windows to left, and door to outer right.
E ELEVATION: single storey lean-to addition projecting from principal gable, rear wing recessed at right with single storey addition in re-entrant angle.
Some modern glazing to ground floor windows, 4-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor and dormers. Purple-grey slate principal roofs with cast-iron profiled gutters and piend-roofed slate-hung canted timber dormers with decorative cast-iron finials over outer bays of S pitch. Harled gablehead stacks, ridge and wallhead stacks to N wing, all with corniced stone copes and circular cans. Painted ashlar stop-chamfered skew-copes with block skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: random rubble wall enclosing garden to S and W of house, W wall articulated at centre as semicircular recess with wallhead built up as stepped centrepiece. Square rubble gatepiers with pyramidal caps and folding timber gate.
David D Black, Town Clerk of Brechin, was the absentee landlord that built the house on the estate of Flemington in the years between 1851 and 1855. Flemington was originally known as Northouse when bought by Charles Ogilvy of Hay & Ogilvy in 1814. An early photograph of the house shows it as a simple 2-storey 3-bay house with a corniced and bracketted doorpiece and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. The photograph suggests that the carved feature on the present porch was originally sited on the wallhead over the centre window and supported a single flue chimney. A photograph of 1908 shows the house with a single storey gabled porch centring the house, and a gabled outbuilding adjoining the conservatory to the W. The house served during the second world war as an HQ for the "Shetland Bus" which was the operation that rescued war refugees and ferried supplies to the Norwegian underground across the North Sea.