History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial Cross, Dunlossit House, Port Askaig, Islay

A Category C Listed Building in Kintyre and the Islands, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8472 / 55°50'49"N

Longitude: -6.1088 / 6°6'31"W

OS Eastings: 142906

OS Northings: 669193

OS Grid: NR429691

Mapcode National: GBR CF98.2PN

Mapcode Global: WGZHV.49B9

Plus Code: 9C7MRVWR+VF

Entry Name: Memorial Cross, Dunlossit House, Port Askaig, Islay

Listing Name: Dunlossit House Estate, Memorial Cross (Shaft)

Listing Date: 27 September 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394734

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47367

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Killarow and Kilmeny

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Kintyre and the Islands

Parish: Killarow And Kilmeny

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in


Probably Sir John James Burnet, circa 1900. Carved stone memorial Celtic cross (shaft remains) to Gilmour family, sited at western end of track to W of Port Askaig and NW of Dunlossit House. Roll moulded arises and frame to panels on rectangular stone shaft with lower limb of cross remaining (cross patee) and stump of encircling ring. Shaft with panel of swirling Celtic carving below smaller panel depicting seated winged female with baby in her lap flanked by two outsized winged cherubs. Entwined snake carving to remnant of cross limb and guilloche to encircling band.

Statement of Interest

The stone is inscribed: 'Isabella Buchan Gilmour, Tottie Martin. Born 19 November 1861, died 15 March 1900', and 'Allan Gilmour of Eaglesham. Born 4 May 1820, died December 1905'. This, and the depiction of a mother with child, would suggest that it was commissioned to mark the death of Isabella Gilmour in 1900, with her father's(?) name added subsequently in 1906. Dunlossit House (see separate listing) was built in 1865, and restored after fire in 1909. Despite the sad absence of the cross-proper the carved shaft is a notable object of fine craftsmanship.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.