This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2763 / 56°16'34"N
Longitude: -3.276 / 3°16'33"W
OS Eastings: 321083
OS Northings: 710046
OS Grid: NO210100
Mapcode National: GBR 25.8FZH
Mapcode Global: WH6R0.NH5W
Plus Code: 9C8R7PGF+GH
Entry Name: West Mill, Strathmiglo
Listing Name: West Mill
Listing Date: 6 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394778
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47447
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1824, probably incorporating earlier fabric. 3-storey, rectangular plan, piend-roofed mill building with breast-shot wheel and adjoining rectangular-plan kiln and stores. Snecked pink sandstone rubble with some droved quoins. Segmental arches. Voussoirs.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: mill to approximate centre with lintel inscription 'JOHN FRASER PERE. TENANT 1824-75. ROBERT A FRASER FILS DO 1875-89'
over boarded timber door with reproduction 'SCOTTISH UNION 1824' fire-mark, small door (grain entrance?) to left above; cart arch with 2-leaf boarded timber door on return to left with small window to right above. Door in low link section to right, adjoining kiln beyond with fire opening below small square window high up to left and cart arch to right, gabled return to right with door and flanking lights in gablehead. Further small store set-back to outer right. Lower store range set back to outer left with cart arch (infilled with part-glazed door) to left and stable door and small window below timber hayloft door at right.
SW ELEVATION: tall mill building and projecting lower lean-to wheelhouse with square window to right, low pedestrian entrance and segmental-headed water inlet on return to left and similar segmental opening on right return. Lower store extending to right and set-back kiln and store ranges to left.
SE ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with 2 small windows to ground.
Some small-pane glazing. Clay pantiles with slate eaves easing course and terracotta ridges. Some ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIORS: 4 metre wheel (set into moulded wheel-floor) driving pit wheel (imported from neighbouring mill), wallower and great spur wheel at spout floor; 2 French burr grinding stones encased in tuns at stone floor with grain fed from bin floor above. 3mm steel plates to kiln drying floor (modern replacements).
Group with Mill House (see separate listing). This water-powered corn mill on the banks of the River Eden is probably the only remaining working watermill in Fife. Restored by the current owner, with the pit wheel and some other parts from Burnside Mill in Kennoway, the mill is now operational. The mill lade runs one mile from a damn at Corsten Mill to the
west into a relatively small and shallow pond at West Mill where there is also a lade bypass of later date. The wheelhouse has been rebuilt on its original foundation.
Other nearby listed buildings