This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.702 / 56°42'7"N
Longitude: -3.7295 / 3°43'46"W
OS Eastings: 294199
OS Northings: 758030
OS Grid: NN941580
Mapcode National: GBR KC50.6B7
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.PT72
Plus Code: 9C8RP72C+Q5
Entry Name: Baptist Church, Atholl Road, Pitlochry
Listing Name: Atholl Road, Baptist Church with Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394854
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47508
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
D A Crombie, 1884. Small aisless, T-plan church with 2-stage stair tower and belfry, 2-bay nave with diagonal buttress. Squared rubble with dressed ashlar quoins. Part base course, stepped string course. Pointed-arch openings with chamfered reveals; hoodmoulds with label stops; traceried windows; stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-stage gable to centre with steps and flanking dwarf walls leading to moulded doorcase with 2-leaf timber door and decorative ironwork hinges flanked by glazed oculi all below stepped string course, single stage buttress to right breaking into 2nd stage with hoodmoulded 3-light traceried window and arrowslit in block-finialled gablehead. Lower narrow piended bay to right of centre with small light and single stage diagonal buttress. Tower (see below) in bay to left.
SW TOWER: 2-stage stair tower with narrow light at ground and simple 2-light traceried window above to S and W (latter both blocked and tracery removed), sawtooth reducing angles giving way to moulded frieze, polygonal roof and reduced 2nd stage (also polygonal) with arrowslits to S and W below attenuated ashlar-roofed spire with decorative cast-iron finial.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay nave with basement door to outer right, and pagoda-roofed timber-louvered ridge ventilator to centre above; transeptal bay to left with single window and further window on return to right, modern extension abutting on return to left. Tower (see above) to outer right.
E ELEVATION: as W elevation but without basement and tower.
N ELEVATION: mostly obscured by later extension but with small traceried rose window in gablehead.
Coloured leaded glass to traceried windows, coloured margins and frosted glazing to small-pane nave windows. Grey slates, fishscale pattern to ventilator. Ashlar coped skews with block skewputts.
INTERIOR: fixed timber pews and boarded timber dadoes; folding timber doors to transepts; hammerbeam-type roof. Double stair with timber balusters and finialled newels to pulpit with gothic-detailed arcaded sounding board below rose window and stepped hoodmould.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: rubble boundary walls with decorative 2-leaf ironwork gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Founded in 1880 as an offshoot of the Tullymet Baptist Church, the Pitlochry congregation was formally constituted in December 1881. The Atholl Centre was built to the rear of the church in 1971.
Other nearby listed buildings