This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7058 / 56°42'20"N
Longitude: -3.7169 / 3°43'0"W
OS Eastings: 294980
OS Northings: 758435
OS Grid: NN949584
Mapcode National: GBR KB6Z.S4T
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.WQ64
Plus Code: 9C8RP74M+86
Entry Name: Auchnahyle Steading and Horse Mill
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394871
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47515
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
18th century and later. Small steading with long single storey range (former threshing mill) and adjoining horse mill. Random rubble. Restored after fire damage, 2000.
SOUTH ELEVATION: 4 bays of various height. Tall range to right of centre with 2-leaf boarded timber door to left at ground and forestair to hayloft door above, small window immediately to right with modern rooflight over; 2-leaf timber garage door to right. Bay to outer right with single window to left and 2 traditional rooflights. Lower bay to left with boarded timber door to centre and windows in flanking bays, small rooflights over outer bays and cottage to outer left with timber porch and door to centre and windows in flanking bays, later flat-roofed dormer windows breaking eaves over outer bays.
N ELEVATION: variety of elements to small courtyard at rear, including lean-to timber bays, long catslide roof to rear of hayloft, and later brick and harl extensions.
W ELEVATION: long single storey range with boarded timber doors to centre and right bays, tiny window beyond to right and sliding timber garage door to outer right, small window to left and stone-blocked ventilation openings. 2 small traditional rooflights.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay with door (converted to window) in gablehead.
E ELEVATION: fine horse circular mill at outer right with broad 2-leaf boarded timber door to N, similar opening to S and complete timbered and felted conical roof.
COTTAGE TO W: small cottage with part-glazed timber door to centre and small horizontally-aligned window in bay to right.
Small-pane glazing patterns in timber windows (casement and sash and case) throughout. Grey slates, corrugated to rear of E-W range. Coped squared rubble stacks with cans.
The horse mill is thought to have been used until 1936, and photographs exist of a horse harnessed to the mill. A small threshing machine in the threshing mill was made by Garvie of Aberdeen. The lands of Auchnahyle were given to the Stewarts at the Reformation. Dr Alexander Duff, the Church of Scotland's first missionary to India, was born here on 25th April, 1806, and in 1889 an Iona Cross was erected in his memory at Mount Zion Church (now the Parish Church). The 1st edition OS map shows a 'Malt House' adjacent to the horse mill roundel, and 'Kiln' at the cottage to the west. A succession of Dean of Guild warrants from 1949 to 1954 were issued for alterations to Auchnahyle, including erection a cattle court and alterations to a 'condemned house' to form a dwelling house.
Other nearby listed buildings