This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.7003 / 56°42'1"N
Longitude: -3.7223 / 3°43'20"W
OS Eastings: 294637
OS Northings: 757837
OS Grid: NN946578
Mapcode National: GBR KC50.HMR
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.SVPB
Plus Code: 9C8RP72H+43
Entry Name: Knockfarrie Road, Easter Knockfarrie, Wester Knockfarrie and Knockfarrie Cottage, Including Ancillary Building and Terrace Walls
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394877
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47521
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1877, sub-divided by John S H Brander, 1946. 2-storey, 5-bay gabled Victorian villa with attenuated bellcast roof. Squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar quoins. Partial moulded dividing course. Corbels. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with rustic timber porch, decorative cast-iron finial and panelled timber door, single window above breaking eaves into dormerhead; tripartite windows to each floor of full-height flanking canted bays, that to left with datestone in timber-braced gablehead, that to left with polygonal bellcast roof. Broad outer bays each with bipartite window to ground and single window to 1st floor, that to left in gablehead, that to right with small dormerhead breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: window high up to right in narrow gablehead breaking eaves to right of centre, and rounded angle to left corbelled to square at 1st floor, gabled bay on return to left with window to ground, and narrow recessed bay to outer left with steps up to timber door, narrow light immediately to left and further narrow light close to eaves at 1st floor.
N (KNOCKFARRIE ROAD) ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation with further 2-bay wing projecting at left. 4 set-back bays to right of centre with broad projecting gable to right containing tiny window in blinded door with flanking windows and monogrammed stone above incorporated into string course, single window to centre above; lower narrow gabled bay to outer right corbelled to 1st floor with narrow light; narrow window in squat, turret-roofed, rounded bay to ground floor in re-entrant angle to left, and further window to outer left, 2 small windows to 1st floor. Variety of elements to advanced wing at outer left including lean-to single storey structure to ground, and door with letterbox fanlight on return to right.
E ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated, gabled elevation.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to N wing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding and some decorative timberwork to gableheads. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan, red brick ancillary building abutting NE boundary wall, with slated roof, brick ridge stack and finialled pyramidal ventilator. Ground floor to S partially obscured by boundary wall, but with 2 segmental-headed openings to left and 2 dormerheaded openings breaking eaves to right, similar opening to centre at N.
TERRACE WALL AND GATE: flat-coped, narrow-banded rubble terrace wall running E-W to S, with decorative cast-iron gate.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers to E and coped rubble boundary walls.
William Adair Atkinson owned Knockfarrie House in 1889. The building was sub-divided for T P W Barty by John S H Brander (Pitlochry architect) and a garage erected, in 1950 for Miss Sheila Ferguson. Nearby Knockfarrie Lodge, formerly the gardener's cottage, is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings