This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7018 / 56°42'6"N
Longitude: -3.7008 / 3°42'2"W
OS Eastings: 295957
OS Northings: 757964
OS Grid: NN959579
Mapcode National: GBR V0.0VGN
Mapcode Global: WH5MK.3TZ7
Plus Code: 9C8RP72X+PM
Entry Name: Edradour Distillery Including Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394958
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47625
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Mid 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric; extended 1950s; altered late 20th century by Brander of Elgin. 2-storey mash and stillhouse, single storey 5-bay warehouse range, distillery manager's office, cottage, former kiln and malt barn. Slated; whitewashed and lined render over rubble and brick.
MASH AND STILLHOUSE:
W ELEVATION: 2-storey range with doors to centre and right bays, and broad sliding door to outer left; tiny paired window openings to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to right at ground and door in gablehead.
INTERIOR: traditional manually operated equipment including Morton's Copper Refrigerator wort cooler, marked 'Robert Willison Copper Works Alloa 1933' (see Notes). 2 Oregon pine (formerly larch) washbacks. 2 copper swan neck stills (bottom boles replaced 1983, swan necks replaced 1999 with copper from A Forsyth & Sons): wash still 4000 litres, spirit still 2000 litres.
BONDED WAREHOUSES AND STORES:
W ELEVATION: 5 piended bays with variety of timber door and window openings.
MALT BARN (RECEPTION CENTRE) AND KILN:
S ELEVATION: door to centre with forestair to hayloft opening at 1st floor, further doors to outer bays. Kiln with altered pagoda set back to outer left.
COTTAGE (SHOP AND OFFICE): 3-bay cottage with centre door and flanking windows, extended to rear.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: square-section, pyramidally-coped ashlar gatepiers with ironwork railings.
The Edradour, Scotland's smallest distillery, was established in 1825 by a co-operative of local farmers. Success with t"enter ourselves as distillers of malt only under the form of John MacGlashan and Company, of Edradour in the Parish of Moulin". The NSA details seven distilleries in the area, each with two stills "for converting worts and wash into spirits, which are fit for immediate consumption". By the 1920s the distillery was owned by John McIntosh & Co, being taken over in 1983 by Campbell Distillers Ltd. 'The Edradour' single malt, matured in Oloroso sherry casks, was marketed for the first time in 1986 when the Duke of Argyll opened the distillery to the public. The wort cooler is the last working example of a Morton's Copper Refrigerator in the industry, it reduces the temperature from 65 to 20 degrees C with fins which hold burn water for cooling. Malting ceased at Edradour in the 1930s with ready milled malt subsequently being used. The distillery was powered by waterwheel until 1948. Current (2000) output from four mashes per week produces 480 gallons of wort which becomes 150 gallons of spirit. The draff is used for cattle feed and the residue as fertiliser.
Other nearby listed buildings