This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7833 / 55°47'0"N
Longitude: -2.1757 / 2°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 389079
OS Northings: 654461
OS Grid: NT890544
Mapcode National: GBR F17K.RN
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.KW5S
Plus Code: 9C7VQRMF+8P
Entry Name: Hutton Hall Barns Farm Steading
Listing Name: Hutton Hall Barns Farm Steading Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395035
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47693
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier 19th century in origin with substantial later 19th and 20th century additions and alterations. Near E-plan steading comprising U-plan courtyard to W with single storey N range; single storey, 7-bay stable range projecting to outer left (W); single storey, 7-bay range projecting to right (centre); further range projecting to right (E) incorporating 2-storey, 7-bay cartshed and granary; 2-storey, near T-plan former mill (?) block recessed to outer right; later additions at rear. Predominantly tooled cream sandstone rubble (whinstone rubble in part); tooled sandstone dressings. Single storey ancillary structure to E.
W RANGE, E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded stable doors in all 7 bays. W (REAR) ELEVATION: square-headed opening off-set to left of centre; large sliding door to outer left. Gabled ranges recessed to outer left.
N RANGE, S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded door at centre.
CENTRAL RANGE, W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded doors off-set to left and right of centre; 2 single windows between; 2-leaf, boarded timber door to outer right; square-headed opening to outer left. E (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 single windows off-set to left of centre; 2-leaf boarded timber door and further doorways to outer right.
E RANGE, W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: cartshed and granary at centre with arched cart openings in all bays at ground; 3 regularly spaced, ventilated windows above. Boarded door in single storey, piended addition to outer right. Various openings in gabled addition to outer left. Adjoining gabled range enclosing courtyard to N with 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; window aligned above. E (REAR) ELEVATION: cartshed and granary with stone forestair off-set to right of centre accessing boarded door breaking eaves at 1st floor (gabled dormerhead). Ventilated windows at 1st floor in 2 bays to left and bay to outer right. 2-leaf sliding timber door in single storey, piended addition to outer left.
MILL (?) BLOCK, S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, near T-plan with various openings in gabled projection at centre; boarded door recessed to outer left; flat-roofed projection recessed to right; gabled ridge cupola off-set to left above. 2-storey, 3-bay range adjoined to right with boarded opening breaking eaves at 1st floor to left; ventilated window centred at 1st floor; ventilated windows at both floors to outer right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable to outer left with ventilated window at ground off-set to left; ventilated window centred in gablehead. Single storey range to right with boarded timber sliding doors flanking centre; ventilated window to outer right.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small-pane timber uppers to ventilated windows; various rooflights. Predominantly grey slate pitched and piended roofs; corrugated-iron roof to N range. Brick-built ridge stacks; cans missing.
INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, rectangular-plan block to E. Heavily-pointed rubble. Pitched, pantiled roof (missing in part); stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Set to the N of Hutton Hall (now Castle) Barns Farmhouse and to the W of the farm cottages - see separate list entry for the latter. A large, essentially intact courtyard steading, prominently sited fronting the main road into Hutton. The 1862 OS map shows only the E range and mill (?) block in place with what is now the W courtyard then still a garden/field. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr William Fish as farmer here in 1866. Presumably once associated with the nearby Hutton Castle - see separate list entry
Other nearby listed buildings