History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hutton Hall Barns Farm Steading Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Hutton, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7833 / 55°47'0"N

Longitude: -2.1757 / 2°10'32"W

OS Eastings: 389079

OS Northings: 654461

OS Grid: NT890544

Mapcode National: GBR F17K.RN

Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.KW5S

Entry Name: Hutton Hall Barns Farm Steading Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 15 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395035

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47693

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Hutton

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Chirnside

Description

Earlier 19th century in origin with substantial later 19th and 20th century additions and alterations. Near E-plan steading comprising U-plan courtyard to W with single storey N range; single storey, 7-bay stable range projecting to outer left (W); single storey, 7-bay range projecting to right (centre); further range projecting to right (E) incorporating 2-storey, 7-bay cartshed and granary; 2-storey, near T-plan former mill (?) block recessed to outer right; later additions at rear. Predominantly tooled cream sandstone rubble (whinstone rubble in part); tooled sandstone dressings. Single storey ancillary structure to E.

W RANGE, E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded stable doors in all 7 bays. W (REAR) ELEVATION: square-headed opening off-set to left of centre; large sliding door to outer left. Gabled ranges recessed to outer left.

N RANGE, S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded door at centre.

CENTRAL RANGE, W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded doors off-set to left and right of centre; 2 single windows between; 2-leaf, boarded timber door to outer right; square-headed opening to outer left. E (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 single windows off-set to left of centre; 2-leaf boarded timber door and further doorways to outer right.

E RANGE, W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: cartshed and granary at centre with arched cart openings in all bays at ground; 3 regularly spaced, ventilated windows above. Boarded door in single storey, piended addition to outer right. Various openings in gabled addition to outer left. Adjoining gabled range enclosing courtyard to N with 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; window aligned above. E (REAR) ELEVATION: cartshed and granary with stone forestair off-set to right of centre accessing boarded door breaking eaves at 1st floor (gabled dormerhead). Ventilated windows at 1st floor in 2 bays to left and bay to outer right. 2-leaf sliding timber door in single storey, piended addition to outer left.

MILL (?) BLOCK, S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, near T-plan with various openings in gabled projection at centre; boarded door recessed to outer left; flat-roofed projection recessed to right; gabled ridge cupola off-set to left above. 2-storey, 3-bay range adjoined to right with boarded opening breaking eaves at 1st floor to left; ventilated window centred at 1st floor; ventilated windows at both floors to outer right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable to outer left with ventilated window at ground off-set to left; ventilated window centred in gablehead. Single storey range to right with boarded timber sliding doors flanking centre; ventilated window to outer right.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small-pane timber uppers to ventilated windows; various rooflights. Predominantly grey slate pitched and piended roofs; corrugated-iron roof to N range. Brick-built ridge stacks; cans missing.

INTERIORS: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, rectangular-plan block to E. Heavily-pointed rubble. Pitched, pantiled roof (missing in part); stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls partially enclosing site.

Statement of Interest

Set to the N of Hutton Hall (now Castle) Barns Farmhouse and to the W of the farm cottages - see separate list entry for the latter. A large, essentially intact courtyard steading, prominently sited fronting the main road into Hutton. The 1862 OS map shows only the E range and mill (?) block in place with what is now the W courtyard then still a garden/field. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr William Fish as farmer here in 1866. Presumably once associated with the nearby Hutton Castle - see separate list entry

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.