This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7639 / 55°45'50"N
Longitude: -2.1165 / 2°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 392785
OS Northings: 652294
OS Grid: NT927522
Mapcode National: GBR F1NS.KM
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.GDC4
Plus Code: 9C7VQV7M+H9
Entry Name: Paxton Dower House, Paxton House
Listing Name: Paxton House Estate, the Dower House (Former Factor's House)
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395043
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47697
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
William J Gray, Coldingham, 1871, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, single storey with attic, gabled, Swiss Cottage with lower (former service?) wing at rear; rectangular-plan former stable adjoined beyond. Cyclopean pink sandstone; applied decorative half-timbering at upper floor; cream sandstone dressings. Base course to principal block; decorative string course between floors with zig-zag frieze and alternate circular and near-quatrefoil stencils between timber modillions; overhanging timber bracketed eaves (modillioned eaves to former stable); timber bargeboards with trefoil filigree/carving in decorative cusped frieze. Timber brackets supporting upper floors overhanging chamfered corners. Rusticated quoins with stylised vermiculation; lightly stugged long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay gabled projection at centre with bipartite window centred at ground; single windows flanking at ground in chamfered angles; timber bracketed oriel window centred above; collar and string course embossed 'REMEMBER TRUE TO THE END'. Gabled porch to right under piend-roofed corner with decorative timber supports flanking round-arched opening with trefoil and quatrefoil carvings, zig-zag frieze; timber panelled door centred within; plate glass fanlight. Projecting jerkin-headed wing recessed to outer left (see below) with single window in chamfered angle at ground.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block to right comprising 3-bay jerkin-headed projection to left with bipartite window centred at ground; single windows flanking at ground in chamfered angles; timber bracketed oriel window centred above. Gabled wing recessed to right with single window centred at ground; single window in chamfered angle to right. 3-bay former service wing (?) recessed to left with timber panelled door at ground to left; single windows at ground to right; gabled dormerheads to windows breaking eaves in bays flanking centre. Jerkin-headed former stable to outer left with 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; boarded attic opening aligned above; boarded timber door in linking corridor recessed to right.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block to left comprising narrow window at ground to left; 2-bay jerkin-headed projection to right with; bipartite window at ground, timber bracketed oriel window centred above. Lower, 4-bay former service wing (?) to right with single windows in all bays at ground (narrow opening to right); gabled dormerheads to windows breaking eaves flanking centre. Single storey wing to outer right with single window off-set to left of centre.
Predominantly 3-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; projecting windows with 3-pane casement glazing. Red tile roof with fishscale banding; decorative brattishing. Sandstone stacks with paired and triple flues; decorative cornices with dogtooth ornament; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Paxton House Estate A Group comprises 'Boundary Walls, Railings & Gatepiers', 'Bridge', 'Dene Cottage', 'The Dower House' 'Entrance comprising South Lodge, East Lodge, Quadrant Walls, Piers & Entrance Screen', 'Garden Cottage', 'Ice House', 'North Lodge & West Lodge', 'Paxton House', 'Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. Set within the boundaries of the INVENTORY site, to the NW of Paxton House and marked on the 1978 OS map as 'Paxton Cottage'. The original plans for this unusually-detailed cottage refer to it as the 'Factor's House'. A photograph held in the NMRS shows the SW elevation prior to the extension of its jerkin-headed wing and the addition of the dormers above the former service range. Bears some resemblance to the nearby Garden Cottage, itself probably designed by William J Gray in the later 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings