This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.769 / 55°46'8"N
Longitude: -2.1216 / 2°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 392465
OS Northings: 652856
OS Grid: NT924528
Mapcode National: GBR F1MQ.GT
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.C8X8
Plus Code: 9C7VQV9H+H8
Entry Name: Threshing Mill, Spital Mains
Listing Name: Spital Mains Including Farmhouse, Cottage, Steading, Threshing Mill, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395057
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47710
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly 18th century in origin with later additions and alterations including porch, 1856. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with Tudor details, flat-roofed porch to front; single storey, 2-bay wing adjoined to side; taller single storey wing at rear (separate cottage) linking house and steading. Farmhouse: lined and painted render to front; harled to sides and rear; cream sandstone ashlar dressings to front (rendered in part); sandstone porch; painted rubble to side wing. Tabbed surrounds to chamfered openings; sandstone mullions to bipartites; chamfered cills. Single and 2-storey steading to rear and side forming courtyard. Octagonal-plan threshing mill to NW.
FARMHOUSE, SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with corniced, flat-roofed porch projecting at centre; coped parapet; 2-leaf panelled door centred at ground; panel embossed 'W.C.L. 1856' aligned above; narrow side-lights. Bipartite windows flanking porch at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Single storey range adjoined to left with 2-leaf, multi-pane door to right; gable end to left with single window centred at ground; pointed arrowslit aligned above. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with single window at ground to left. Projecting porch recessed to outer left. Single storey, 4-bay wing (cottage) recessed to outer right. NW (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with single windows at both floors off-set to left of centre; single window at 1st floor to outer left. Single storey wing adjoined to outer right with taller, single storey wing (cottage) projecting to front. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey, 2-bay block to right with glazed door to left; single window to right; principal gable end set behind. Taller single storey, 3-bay cottage adjoined to left. Steading adjoined to outer left. 4-, 6- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; modern windows to single storey wing. Steeply-pitched grey slate roof; gablet-coped sandstone skews; block skewputts. Coped and painted apex stacks; various circular cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
COTTAGE: single storey, 3-bay. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble; rendered margins. SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf multi-pane door off-set to left of centre; flanking windows. Steading adjoined to outer left. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Multi-pane door off-set to right of centre; squat window to outer right; single windows in remaining bays to left. Modern timber glazing throughout. Pantiled roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
STEADING: various single and 2-storey ranges enclosing near rectangular-plan court with implement shed to E; cartshed with arched openings and stone forestair to N; L-plan range adjoining threshing mill and cottage to W; various sheds and byres within courtyard. Tooled sandstone rubble throughout; tooled quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. Boarded timber openings; glazing missing. Predominantly pantiled pitched and piended roofs (missing in part); grey slate roof to 2-storey range to E; stone-coped skews throughout. INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
THRESHING MILL: remains of octagonal-plan threshing mill to NW. Heavily-pointed sandstone rubble corners; tooled dressings. Large, square-headed openings (blocked in part). Pantiled roof (missing in part). INTERIOR: open timber ceiling. Machinery not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: squared coping to rubble sandstone walls enclosing site to front; modern railings above. Stop-chamfered, square-plan sandstone gatepiers flanking pedestrian entrance; platformed, pyramidal caps; modern gate.
Set to the SE of Spital House, with which it was once associated - see separate list entry. The initials 'W.C.L' are thought to stand for the Rev William C Lundie, noted in Rutherfurd's as owner of Spital House in 1866. Although not shown on either Blackadder's or Thomson's map, the steeply-pitched roof and 1st floor windows which abut the eaves suggest the house dates from the 18th century. The steading is no longer in use and is in a state of partial disrepair 1999. Together they form a striking group. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Robert Wilkinson as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings