This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7663 / 55°45'58"N
Longitude: -2.1623 / 2°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 389914
OS Northings: 652561
OS Grid: NT899525
Mapcode National: GBR F1BR.NS
Mapcode Global: WH9YG.RBJB
Entry Name: Sunwick Farmhouse Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395058
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47711
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Late 18th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with 2-storey, 2-bay, piend-roofed flanking pavilions forming near U-plan; further lean-to addition at rear; mono-pitched addition to side. Red brick (pavilions comprising alternate header courses with 3 stretcher courses); some render dressings. Base course in part; brick string course dividing floors to front and sides (comprising header course sandwiched between stretcher courses); eaves course. Projecting cills at rear and side (E). Rubble mono-pitched addition to side. Gableheads with angled brick sections at skews (Dutch example).
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with steps to flush-panelled timber door off-set to left of centre; plate glass fanlight. Single windows in remaining bays at ground; single windows aligned at 1st floor. Piend-roofed pavilion recessed to left with painted imitation windows at both floors in both bays. Piend-roofed pavilion recessed to right with multi-pane door to left; single window at ground to right; single windows aligned above. Single storey, mono-pitched addition to outer right with boarded timber door off-set to left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay pavilion with blind windows centred at both floors; single windows at both floors to left and right; small window in lean-to addition to left. Principal block off-set to right behind with attic light centred in gablehead.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with round-arched stair window at centre; squat window aligned above; small window in former doorway at ground to left; single windows at both floors in bays to left and right. Projecting piend-roofed pavilion adjoined to outer right with boarded window in lean-to addition to front. Projecting piend-roofed pavilion to left with single window centred at 1st floor. Mono-pitched addition recessed to outer left with single window off-set to left of centre.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay pavilion with segmental-arched window centred at ground (former doorway); single window at ground to right; single windows flanking centre at 1st floor; mono-pitched, single storey addition projecting to left. Principal block off-set to left behind with single windows at both floors to outer left; attic light centred in gablehead.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 4-pane timber sash and case windows to side; some modern glazing to front, side and rear. Steeply-pitched grey slate roof to principal block; grey slate roofs to piended pavilions; red tile ridging throughout; pantiled lean-to addition at rear. Brick-built apex stacks to E and W; circular terracotta cans. Some iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble walls partially enclosing site to front.
An early, well-detailed farmhouse, particularly unusual and remarkable for its red brick construction - the majority of farmhouses in Scotland at this date being in stone. The steeply-pitched roof and principal window arrangement suggests an early date. Still associated with the farm steading to the N - itself predominantly rebuilt/replaced later 20th century. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr James Scott as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings